Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Because it was late, Luke couldn't do anything regarding Mark until he spoke with the other cops and sheriff. So we were going home now. I kind of wished he could do it now just because I wasn't ready to have this awkwardness between us again as we were going home. But it was inevitable - and very noticeable after he dropped Francis off.

I wasn't good in awkward situations. I didn't like them a damn bit. I enjoyed putting people in them but I didn't care to be a victim of one. Because right now, it was sucking bad. Not to mention, I'm not the kind of person that operates well in such a tense air since my personality goes against awkwardness.

I was looking out the window into the darkening sky; my mind was still conscious of the space between us and the events of earlier today. I couldn't stand it. Internally groaning, I forced my eyes back into the reality of the truck and slowly turned towards where Luke sat, silently driving home. His eyes on the road, I could still tell they were somewhere else. In deep thought, in his mind trying to fix something somehow. I sighed. Well… here goes nothing.

“Alright,” I said for the first time, breaking such an intimidating silence. “Are you not saying anything because of what the doctor said or because I never told you those things until now?”

He pursed his lips slowly, not at first acknowledging that I said anything. I didn’t think he wanted to answer but after a minute of more silence and the convincing thought that he wasn’t going to answer, he glanced over to me. “I’m just….” He took in a deep sigh. “I’m just thinking."

“Yeah, I noticed. When isn’t someone thinking?” I asked, trying to lighten the mood. He didn’t react or really respond. His eyes moved back to the road as he continued driving. I was about to just shut up and let him be a pouting bitch but he finally spoke up.

“I know that what the doctor said was shit. It's just... I didn't see that coming.” He trailed off, eyes still focused ahead. He shook his head, back to pondering over his thoughts. He didn't say anymore and I didn't push for him to again.

But I was certainly thinking that over; why is he pondering if what the doc said was a bunch of bull? I'm kind of surprised that he didn't bring up everything that happened after that. I mean... out of everything - Mark, our past, Francis - he was still hung up on what happened at the doctors. What was that suppose to mean? I didn't know but I could just feel something... something changed. I could just feel it and I wasn't sure what to make of it.

It wasn't until I heard him shut the engine off that I realized we were home. Falling away from the place my thoughts took me, I glanced to Luke, back in reality. Rolling my eyes at how tense he was, I turned towards the truck door on my side and started opening.

"Wait," Luke said just as I felt him grip my arm to stay in place. Still sitting there, I looked over to him in question, trying very hard to ignore the feeling of his hand on my arm. Looking into his beautiful jade and emerald eyes for the first time in a while, my stomach started to hurt. My whole body ached in desperate need for this man. Everyday, my attraction towards him grew stronger and so did my feelings for him.

I recognized that I was falling for the guy a little while back. But in my position, I was the last person who knew anything about love. It was questionable at first just because I wasn't sure what it felt like, falling for someone. But now, I see that I am at a new stage of attraction. I wanted him and badly. My insides burned with need as I took the sight of him in. Damn, why does he have this effect on me?

He stared back at me and I couldn't read his expression. I hated when that happened. I can't tell how he is feeling with a blank face showing. Though it was clear he was feeling something; he just continued looking at me for a minute.