Chapter 3

Previously on Chapter 2

I'm used to being bullied. It has been my daily basis. Even before moving here. I was bullied too back in my old school. So there's nothing new about it. It's just the same life cycle that'll always repeat itself.

-She's Not Mute... She's Just Quiet-

Y/N P.O.V

It's weekend. Which means... there are no school. I can be more than happy for that. For the past few days ever since my first day of school... I've been targeted by those bullies.

I've learnt their names. A guy with mullet hair. He's Henry Bowers. Then there's Victor Criss, Belch Huggins, and Patrick Hockstetter. The infamous Bower Gang... or in my opinion... a bunch of idiots.

I can fight them back if I want to. But I chose not to. I prefer to stay silent and far away from attention. If I fight them... I will surely have everyone's attention, since they were famous in school.

Since there's no school today, I decided to explore the town. I haven't got a chance to do so because of school. So since I got nothing to do... I've completed all my homework. Exploring the town is what I will be doing today.

I peddle my bike around the town. I have a guitar straps on my back. Maybe I can stop by somewhere and play some music.

I stop near a lake. This is perfect. I can play some music here. I love playing guitar while staring into the distance. So I stop my bike and get off. I make my way to the cliff that someone probably use to jump down the lake.

I sit down and open my guitar case. I place it on my lap and start adjusting the note. Once I got to the note I need, I start to play.

Please don't leave me here
When I'm at my lowest
My hearts already broken
Need you to come
And fix me

I close my eyes as I start to sing the song. Some part of me wishes to have someone to hold. But other part is scared... I don't wanna get too attached... I don't want to go through the pain of losing them. Especially not after all the trauma I've experienced after my parents death.

I sing with my eyes close. Completely shutting out everything that's surrounding me. This is my way to keep things to myself... to keep myself calm. Just me and my music.

Time-skip

The weekend passed by like a breeze. It's currently lunch break at Derry High School.

I'd normally have my lunch at the field. But I forgot to bring my lunch, so I have no choice but to eat at the cafeteria.

I'm just sitting in one of the seats, all by myself. I've never really tried to make any friends since day one. As I prefer to be alone. To the other students... being a loner is a loser. But to me... it is my way to keep myself safe.

Author P.O.V

Not far from where Y/N's sitting. A group of 4 boys are sitting as they eat their lunch. They are known The Losers of the school.

One of the boys takes a glance at Y/N. He stares at her in confusion, as he doesn't seem to recognize her. He flinch when one of his friend suddenly hit his arm.

"W-What the h-heck, Richie!" He yelled, rubbing his sore arm. His name is Bill Denbrough, the boy who's famous for his stuttering. Then the boy that smacks him is known for being a trashmouth, Richie Tozier.

Richie ignores Bill's remark. "Where are you staring at, Billy?" Richie said. Bill clicks his tongue, feeling annoyed by his friend's act.

Bill P.O.V

I roll my eyes and gesture at the h/c girl who's sitting not far from us. "T-That girl o-o-over there... i-is she new? I h-have never s-s-seen her a-around" I said. I let out a sigh as I can't stop myself from stuttering.

Richie turns his head to look at where Y/N is sitting. "Yeah... she's new. She's really hot, right?" He said as he looks at her in awe. The others nods their heads in agreement. I just hum as I turn to look at her.

"I wonder if she can talk... I heard no one ever heard her speak" Stanley said. "Maybe she's mute" Richie said. Eddie gasp at his choice of words.

"Shut up, Richie. That's so rude! You can't just point out people's disability! That is not okay!" Eddie said. I ignore his rambling and continue to watch the girl. I felt like I've seen her before. Then I remember the other day, when I heard someone singing by the Quarry. It was her.

"There's nothing wrong with being a mute! You just can't help it. There's a lot of people out there who are..." Richie argued. "Yeah but some people can be very insecure about it" Eddie said. "S-Stop a-arguing y-you t-two. S-S-She's n-not mute..." I said, shutting them up. Richie turns his head to look at me.

"How do you know?" He asked. "I s-s-saw her a-at t-the q-q-quarry 2 d-days a-ago. S-S-S-She w-was s-s-singing..." I said. "So she's just quiet?" He said. I just shrug his shoulders.

"Maybe it's what they called... uhh..." Stanley starts, but he stops and starts to look like he's thinking. He snaps his fingers as he seem to remember. "Oh right! Selective mutism..." he said. "What the hell is that?" Richie said.

Stanley turns to look at him. "It's the term where a person only speaks towards the people they trust..." he said. I just nod my head and glance at Y/N again. I don't know... something about the way she's acting tells me that she's in pain.

Richie smacks my arm again. "Ow! W-W-What the h-heck!!" I said. "Stop staring! You're going to creep her out!" He said. "Y-You c-c-could've j-just p-poke me!" I said, rubbing my sore arms. He hits it pretty hard. He rolls his eyes.

"I did... no reaction. So I smack you instead" he said. I turn to the others to see them nodding. "O-Oh..." I stuttered out. But I can't help but glance at the h/c girl again. "See?? You keep staring at her" He said. I huffed and finally look away from the girl.

Who is she?

*to be continued*