Chapter 2 - 2x01

1864 Flashback 

1864 Flashback 

"Kat!" I laughed, the wind whipping my hair, which had only minutes ago been styled so beautifully. 

"Lyn! What are you doing out there?" Katherine yelled, walking out of the house. "It's about to rain. Come back inside!"

"Just come outside," I begged, turning around, my cheeks rosy from the cold. "Don't you love this weather?"

She sighed and gave me a small smile. "Not particularly. I'll come out though, but just because I love you," she informed me, and I grinned. 

"Let's pretend like we're fair maidens who have run away from our terrible brothers!" I exclaimed, eager to play with her. 

"Okay," she giggled. 

We ran through the garden, laughing and shrieking when the wind lifted our skirts. 

"It's getting cold Kaitlyn, let's go back inside," Katherine begged, and I gave in.

We stepped back inside the warm house and held hands as we walked upstairs to our rooms. 

"You know this will have to end soon," Katherine said as she stopped me before we split ways. "I will have to leave in a few weeks."

I looked down at the floor sadly, letting go of her hand. "Why can't you stay longer Kat? I'm 16 and your 17, we still have months before we need to get wed."

"Oh I'm not looking to get married," she chuckled, and I looked up at her in confusion.

 "There's a bad man looking for me," she whispered in my ear and I gasped. 

"But I can protect you," I demanded, and she smiled softly, tucking hair behind my ears. 

"I'm sure you can," she mumbled lovingly. "But I don't want you getting hurt."

Suddenly we heard laughter downstairs, and we bent over the banister to see the Salvatore brothers running about, tackling each other on the floor. 

I gazed longingly at the older one, Damon Salvatore, as he threw his head back in laughter, his blue eyes shining. 

"Lyn! He's like 9 years older than you," Katherine chastised, lightly smacking the back of my head. 

"I can't help but stare at him!" I protested giddily. "He's so beautiful."

"Ms.Paige," a maid quickly ran up to me. "You must come with me immediately. Your mother has had another episode."

The woman gripped my wrist and pulled me away from Katherine, as I dreaded going to see my mother's condition.

End of Flashback