Chapter 5 - 2x05

A/N: We're skipping 2x04 because Kaitlyn wouldn't have much of a place in it

"Today's the Historical Society Picnic," Bonnie informed me over the phone. "I can't be there today, but if you want to start taking your place in town, I would go."

"Thanks, Bon. I think I'll go with Caroline or something," I replied happily, eating an egg sandwich. 

I had finally managed to have a calm morning, without any melodrama. So I was looking forward to going to this event. 

Next, I called Caroline who agreed to go with me. She seemed to be very intent on keeping an eye on Elena and Stefan, which I found a bit odd.

"Thank you to everyone, who's showed up today to lend a helping hand," Carol Lockwood was saying when we arrived. 

I spotted Stefan talking to Mason, and Elena was walking towards Caroline and I, looking glum. 

"Hey, come to help?" Elena asked me, and I nodded. "Great, follow me."

We trailed after Elena and started getting our paintbrushes out. 

"So, how are things with you and Stefan?" Caroline interrogated curiously. "Have you talked?"

"No, not since the fight," Elena replied sadly, though her facial expression was a bit annoyed, and at Caroline. "He's been pushing me away because he thinks that Katherine might get jealous enough to hurt me."

Caroline walked over to Elena and crouched next to her. "You said Katherine is dangerous," she reminded the brunette. "Well, maybe he's got a point."

"Katherine IS dangerous," I cut in. "But I wouldn't have let her control you like that Elena. I thought you and Stefan had made up?"

Elena gave me a sharp stare. "No, we broke up," she said through gritted teeth, and I couldn't help but notice that Caroline looked delighted. 

Something strange was happening. 

"Hey Lyn," Damon walked up to me cheerily. "Having fun?"

"Yup," I droned. "If I knew I was going to have to do manual labor, I would have stayed in bed."

He chuckled and leaned against one of the pillars. "Hey, have you noticed that Liz was acting a little strange?"

I shook my head in confusion. "Liz?"

"The sheriff," he clarified. "Oh right, I forgot you're new to town. Come with me, I'll introduce you both."

"Oh no that's fine," I protested but he had already grabbed my hand and was leading me towards her. 

I tried to ignore the tingles crawling up my fingers, and let Damon pull me towards an elderly woman with short blonde hair. 

"Damon," she greeted again, but she looked wary of him. "Who's this?"