Chapter 19 - 2x21

1956 Flashback

1956 Flashback

Time was endless in the dark cells of Augustine's workhouse. I had completely given up hope, the mere fact that I had no friends to hope to save me was one of the reasons. The only good friend I had made was the person who put me in here. 

I never saw Angie except for when she was bringing in other vampires. It seemed that we had too much of a personal connection to have her treat me. I was also sure that if I ever got into close proximity with her again, I would scratch her eyes out. 

Why was I so special to them? They had been trying to figure out what I was for the past few decades, often stripping me completely naked to analyze every part. By the end of every day, I felt used, disgusting, vulnerable, and utterly helpless.

The only good thing I could say was that they treated me with a little more care than the others. They couldn't afford for me to die on them. They didn't know what could kill me, and I was too much of a mystery to them to accidentally die.

New people would be brought in every week, and the old ones would die after a while. No one ever escaped this hellhole.

I had only bonded with one other person here, Lorenzo St. John. But he had been here much longer than I had. I was on the right-hand cell next to him, and he would take turns talking to me and then another man on the left-hand side. I never met the other guy.

Lorenzo was pretty cynical but had a fire inside him that still burned brightly after all the decades of being trapped. He would often tell me about his longing for a family, and I would tell him stories of all my travels. 

I was pretty sure that his would be the saddest death in this place. 

"Number 32942, get up! Today's a special day for you," one of the doctors opened the cell door, grinning nastily.

"What's happening! Where are you taking me?" I asked frantically, seeing that he was dragging me in the opposite direction of where we normally went.

"You, my dear, are being shown off today. Think of yourself like a gorgeous painting that people will get to ogle at. Our greatest mystery! Still unsolved!" The doctor made various motions with his hands as he spoke.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I snapped, as he pushed me into a room.

"Make her beautiful!" he ordered the ladies who closed the door. "Perhaps some make-up would help."

The ladies bathed me roughly, flinging on a fancy dress that was much too tight to breathe comfortably in. They then slapped some makeup on my face, not caring how top-quality it was.

It turned out that I would be presented to the audience of bloodthirsty investors and donors so that they could see Augustine's most valuable "prize".