Chapter 23 - 3x02

"You okay? Is Ray getting heavy?" Klaus checked with Stefan, who had the unconscious werewolf slung over his shoulder

"I'm fine," Stefan grumbled in annoyance.

"You sure about that? You know, we've been walking for quite some time now. If you need some water or a little sit-down..."

"You know, I get that we're, uh...we're stuck with you, but if we could maybe just skip the chitchat, it'd be great," Stefan said under his breath.

"What about you Angel? Want me to carry that bag for you?" Klaus called over his shoulder, where I was grunting under the weight of my hiking bag. 

"I'm fine," I snapped, hating the flustered feeling I felt at the nickname. 

"What do you even have in there?" Stefan asked in curiosity. "You don't need that much."

"I like to be prepared for anything," I answered vaguely when in truth there were half a dozen bottles of Hellcraft stashed in there. 

I kept trying to lighten my intake of Hellcraft over the past couple of weeks, but every time I forced myself to miss a bottle, I just drank 2 the next time around. It wasn't that the liquid tasted good, it just satisfied me, making me feel strong instead of weak, which is how I had felt in Mystic Falls. 

Useless to my friends, useless to the situation, and utterly helpless against anyone else. 

Now I had power flooding through my veins, allowing me to shift at any moment, have strength even in human form, and have limitless stamina. I just had to act normal so that no one would suspect anything. In truth, I could have carried three more backpacks on my back and ran up and down the mountain. 

"We're here," Klaus announced, slightly frustrated because no one wanted to talk to him. 

We arrived at a place in the middle of the woods where camps were set up and people were sitting and standing everywhere. As soon as Stefan flung Ray onto the ground, a woman looked up in alarm. 

"Ray!" she yelled, rushing over to him. "Oh, my God. What's going on? Who are you?"

Klaus walked up to Stefan's left, while I stepped towards his right. "The important question is who am I. Please forgive the intrusion. My name is Klaus."

"You're the hybrid," she spat after a second's thought.

" You've heard of me." Klaus smiled maliciously. "Fantastic."

I resisted rolling my eyes. He was so dramatic. 

∆ ∆ ∆

I excused myself under the pretense that I would relieve myself when in reality, I was just stocking up on my daily ration of Hellcraft. I sighed in delight, the taste not burning down my throat anymore. I had long ago abandoned any will of telling someone about my addiction. They wouldn't be able to help me anyway.