1

Alessia
"Dear, your papa insists on seeing you urgently." My mama comes into my room, her face expressing anxiety. I say nothing, but obey their commands. I always hate seeing my papa,  I always hate walking in his office. It never does me any good. I finally reach his door, hesitating to open it, letting my hand hover it. This could be nothing new, I'll just get yelled and cussed out, like always. I've grown numb from it, never thinking anything of it.

I finally gather the courage to open the door, slowly turning the handle. I take in a huge breath and gulp slowly. My papa looks up from his desk, removing his glasses, "Sit, Alessia." My papa instructs, but manages to send shivers of horror down my spine. "In the mafia, we have things we have to sacrifice to keep peace sometimes. And in two months, you and the upcoming Mafia King, Adrian Casanova, will be joined together in vows, binding two of the largest mafias on the planet currently." My papa explains, leaving me with my jaw falling to the floor in shock.

I say nothing, knowing I will get slapped or cussed out if I object to his news. I stand up, "When are you handing me over then?" I ask, crossing my arms. Papa stands up, making eye contact with me, "I never instructed you to stand up and leave." Papa growls. My eyes go wide, as I watch him lift his hand slowly and then going full force making contact with my cheek, causing me to fall to the ground. I try to fight my tears, "Stop crying, women in the mafia don't cry. You will be handed over to Adrian tonight, during our party, to celebrate the two souls, bravely combining to make one, to unite and make the most dominating mafia to exist." Papa smirks, looking down at me, "Now get up and leave, I don't want to see your humiliating face here again." Papa hisses at me, kicking me to get up.

I pick myself up, walking out of the room, wiping the tears and fighting them from escaping my eyes. One of my three brothers, Miguel, stopped me in the hall, "What's wrong?" He asks, resting his hands on my shoulders to stop me from walking. "I-I'm getting married to Adrian." I spit out, between me choking back my tears. Miguel's jaw drops, "The Adrian Casanova, like as in the next Mafia King?" Miguel asks, trying to get his head straight. Miguel is the youngest, and most naive. He's adorable though, I have my two older brothers, Christopher and Samuel. Those two, I'm worried about their reactions. But I knew Miguel's would honestly be adorable, but comforting. Miguel never fails to put a smile on my face.

Miguel, lost in a trance over the thought of his only sister marrying a killer, I walk away.

Suddenly, we hear Papa rushing through the halls, making sure everybody is ready to go to the party he has planned, alongside Mr. Casanova. My mama pulls me into the dressing room, clear from my papa's wrath, "Here my lovely, this is your dress, first impressions are key." She smiles while holding the dress up me. The dress was a black simple ball gown, not very large, but floor length. I striped down to my undergarments, letting my mama help me put on the dress. My maids come out and help with my hair and makeup. Sometimes I wonder what it would've been like to have my mama do my hair and makeup growing up, rather than maids doing everything for me.

Everything went so fast, within the blink of an eye. My hair and face went from pure and messy to neat and beautiful. The talent my maids have when it comes this stuff is crazy, but for seventeen years, I've always wished deep down, my mama could do this stuff. But sometimes, life doesn't go the way we want.