Not accepting her.

June 2nd, 1961

I drag my feet along the sandy sandlot. Ha sandy sandlot...I'm hilarious. I watch as the last boys runs out of the sandlot and to his group of friends waiting at a gate covered in moss.

"Hurry up Ham" one whines.

"Yeah yeah we're starving" another cries.

"I'm going going" he says out of breath running across the field.

Once I see they're out, I grip the ball in my hand. I look up at a huge fence, I want to hit the ball over the fence.

I actually have really great talent for the game. Heck, I practice more than Jordan and his idiot friends.

I throw the ball of before my wooden bat makes contact with the ball, sending it far over the fence with a smack. After a few seconds you could hear it his a roof and a grown woman scream in the distance.

Yeah yeah pov

I see a ball come flying towards this pink two story house on the way to get food. We hear a piecing scream come from a woman inside. I take a closer look at the house and it seems to just be sold. Cool.

"Where did that ball come from?" Kenny asks realizing it was a baseball that hit.

I shrug looking at the direction it came from only for another on to be sent over, landing about a yard infront of us.

"What?" Timmy ask and Tommy repeats.

"Let's see where it's coming from" Benny suggests.

I hear a bundle of complaints from the boys.

"We're hungry!"

"Noo"

"Ugh why?"

I was about to say something when another one comes over.

"Ok but whoever is doing this has alot of balls!" Ham says and we all look at him.

"As in?" Bertram asks signaling down there.

"No! Baseballs!" Ham explains and we all 'oh'.

"Cmon" Benny says running in the direction they're coming from.

We end up walking up the same gate we left in.

"The sandlot...of course it's coming from here" Benny says smiling.

"No crap" Ham snarls flicking him.

We slowly creep behind the gate and peek our heads around.

A girl?

She hits another one getting over and past the fence.

"Woah..."I say a little to loud.

Y/n pov

"Woah.." I her someone say and I turn my head.

All their eyes widen and they look at me like they've just seen a ghost.

"Hi?" I ask kind of intimated. I mean, it's the 60s and a group of boys is kinda spying on you. Maybe not spying that sounds a little full of myself. More like....staring? I don't know.

"You've got quite a bit of talent there" A tall tan one says.

I nod "yeah, well...thank you" I say gripping my bat a little in nervousness.

"You should play with us sometime" he suggest smiling.

"Are you serious?" Another tan one says, shorter than the other, but still taller than me.

"What?" He asks him.

"She's a Phillips!" He screams

I roll my eyes, this wasn't the first time someone has despised me for my last name.

"Not to mention a girl, and girls can't play baseball" he says turning red.

"Want to test that theory?" I ask him...dang I really surprised myself there.

"Ohh she got you good! I thinks she's pretty cool!" The black kid says agreeing with the tan older one.

"No.no." the little tan one starts again "Ham! Don't you think it's weird for a girl to play a men's sport?"

A freckled boy shrugs "I guess but..she's pretty good" he says.

"Fine fine fine..." He gives up "you guys are really letting A GIRL" he says emphasizing the girl part.

"What's wrong with that anyway?" I ask speaking up making him turn towards me.

"Girls complain about EVERYTHING! Getting dirty..you know you'll have to get dirty if you want to play with us" he says smirking at me.

"Ok I'm fine with getting "dirty"" I say making quotation marks with my fingers "and plus, YOUR the one complaining about me"

Bam, boom, burn.

He looks at me stunned while his friends burst out laughing.

"She's got you good"

"Yeah yeah your trapped!"

"She's got you there"

While all of them were laughing at him the tall tan one walks up to me.

"So, want to?" He asks smiling at me.

I shrug "sure I guess...what time?"

"8:00am tomorrow Vincents drug store. You know where that is right?" He asks making sure.

I nod but before I could answer he answers for me.

"Oh wait that's actually where the boys and I first saw you!" He remembers.

I nod "yep"

"Ok cool" see you there!

I nod again grabbing my bat and seven other baseballs before leaving.

Yeah yeah pov

"Guys stop arguing" Benny says walking towards us after talking to that girl with an ego.

"YOU STARTED IT!" I scream at him and he just rolls his eyes.

"No..."

"Yes!" I cut him off "that's because you probably think she's hot don't you?" I ask immediately regretting what I asked.

Kenny laughs "ha. Don't we all. And you were the one who was all lovestruck when she hit that ball over the fence!"

"I wasn't lovestruck" I snap "it was cool until I realized she was a GIRL" I yell.

"Why does it matter?" Kenny asks. "It's cool either way!" He argues back.

I slap myself in the head "yeah but...shes a Phillips" I bring up again.

"I mean yeah she is but..." Benny trails off

"How are you of all people letting her anyway!? It's YOUR enemy" I say proving a valid point.

"Because SHE is not HE" Benny shoots back at me.

Nothing will change my opinion about her.

EVER.