Proving Them Wrong

August 32, 1961

(Yes I know there are 31 days in August I'm kinda slow)

Yeah yeahs pov

The bell rings signaling the end of class. Y/n jumps up and grabs my sleeve. Our friendship has kind of gotten better as the days have gone on. We walk to the field that was surrounded by kids. Two groups of boys stand.

Our friends and the boys who made fun of y/n.

"Oh look who it is" one boys says to y/n.

Y/n's face turns red with either anger or embarrassment.

"We'll let you bat first since we have an advantage" Benny says to their captain. We all knew he was referring to y/n, she was clearly the best.

The look at eachother in confusion before their captain shrugs "thanks I guess".

"Y/n pitch" Kenny says.

She nods putting on her glove and Benny throws her the ball which she catches.

The boys laugh as she walks up but she doesn't let it get to her. She simply smiles and winks, I can't lie but that was hot.

We all go to our positions and the field goes quiet. All you could here was y/n muttering to their batter.

"Don't blink" she says repeatedly to the boy batting and he gulps in response.

She looks away for a second gripping the ball before throwing it to Ham. Ham cat he's it without crying that his hand was broken, so that means that wasn't her best throw.

"strreeike one!" Ham yells.

"Damn" I can hear her say to herself as ham throws it back to her, she catches without looking.

"Lucky throw" One of their boys reassures their batter. The gang laughs lightly at his comment but y/n doesn't hear him.

When she throws it again making it pass the kid.

"Strike two!" Ham yells again laughing "this is getting fun" he jokes.

"Shut up hippo!" The batter yells as this was his last chance to hit it....which he blew.

Y/n smirks to herself and glances at me, I smile at her which she nods in return.

"How you like 'dem apples!" Ham yells and jumps up and high fives her.

The boys look at eachother one again, surprised. Practically all the girls in our grade. Never mind, school were clapping and cheering. I guess it was for girl power, feminism, I don't know something like that.

Some of the boys smile and shake their heads. Her brother, I never actually knew his first name, was even smiling a little.

Y/n looks down at the ground flustered and back up at the batter who rolled his eyes before handing the next guy the bat.

The same thing went on and on until it was our turn to bat. Y/n wanted to go last as she didn't want to us to lose the ball over the school fence.

When I stepped up I looked at y/n once again who was watching very closely. I look at Benny who nods and then their catcher who was already focused.

The ball comes flying towards me and I hit it, not over the fence but pretty far.

I run to first base and they still haven't gotten it. Then second, the were bending down to grab the ball. Then third, I got a home run.

Our team claps and claps, but y/n just grabs the bat and rolls her wrists. It was as if each time I did something she wasn't watching.

She was the last one to bat and she had alot of pressure. Their pitcher throws it and she swings...it was gone. The ball was gone. Way over the fence, and *clang*. The sound of the ball landing somewhere in the woods.

No one cheers. Heck, no one could believe it except y/n who just shrugs.

"Do I even have to run?" She asks the pitch and he shrugs.

"Yeah!" Benny claps running up to her. He hugs her and shes hesitant to hug back but does anyway. The whole team kind of looks at me in the moment but it was ok I guess.

She lets go first and looks for me giving me a kinda...side hug.

"Nice homer" was all she says before walking away.

I thought on the first day of school when she grabbed my hand that it was crazy, no girl has every held hands with me. But the way she's hugs Benny, then the way she hugs me. Makes me think that she's probably done the same with him, then with me. I can't complain because I was an asshole while Benny was her bestfriend-

"Yeah yeah!" Y/n says "you coming? Schools over" she says snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Uh yeah...yeah" I say running up to walk past her.

"Thanks" she says.

"For what?" I ask her.

"For helping me prove the boys wrong. After they all went up to me telling me how good I was, some asked if I wanted to hang out. I declined of course because just this morning they were being assholes. But thanks for giving me the cofindence to prove them wrong" she says our hands brushing every few seconds.

"Your welcome I guess" I mutter smiling.

The suns comes out of the clouds and I look up at her. Her y/e/c eyes shining in the sunlight.

"Your eyes are very pretty" she says and my heart races.

"I- well thanks. Yours are..pretty too" I stutter. I've never stuttered in my life, what!

She shrugs and looks down "thanks".

We walk and grab our backpacks and then take our gloves off.

"My skirt" she begins laughing. The purple skirt she was wearing was ripped at the bottom. "I played baseball in a skirt" she says again.

I smile when she laughs subconsciously, shes cute when she laughs.

"Oh well, it's not like my mom would care. I've had this skirt for three years. Its about time I get rid of it" she laughs.

Another thing I like about her is that she's not very mad about stuff pretty much anyone else would be mad at. For example, I hated on her on everything she did, yet she's not kinda my friend. She doesn't hold many grudges.