sneaking around

June 20, 1961

Me, Philips and Buddy lay sprawled across the couch, watching the Dalmatians movie.

I've wanted to watch it for so long and it's so good.

"Kids we're going to bed" My mom says from her bedroom.

"Goodnight!" We all say back in unison.

Shortly after ten clock the movie ends.

"I'm not tired" I say looking at Jordan.

"Me either" he says getting up to turn the television off.

"Me either" Buddy agrees.

"We can go somewhere" Jordan suggests

"Like what?" I ask him.

"Buddy you know how to skateboard?" Jordan asks and Buddy nods.

"Get dressed let's go" Jordan says and we both rush up to our rooms.

I wasn't sure what we were doing but it was a little chilly outside. I decided to go for a yellow t shirt, jeans, and my new p.f flyers. I put my hair in two pigtails so it would be out of my face and grabbed my wooden board.

I run downstairs before both the boys come down a minute after

"Took you ladies long enough" I joke.

Philips scoffs and bumps my shoulder and Buddy just laughed.

We grab our boards buddy getting Jordans other one. Our parents never really cared where we were or at what time. As long as we returned home they had no problem.

Our first stop was vincents drug store for snacks. I grab two packs of bubble gum, and Coca-Cola. Chips and candy bars made their ways to the front counter.

We pay and skate down to the diamond. We sit in the bleachers and just eat. The lights were still on so we could see everything.

I loved how the field looked all lit up. Sometimes I wish my brother would let me play with them. If he had, I couldn't have met the sandlot boys. The sandlot boys were like the best friends you could ever have. It didn't matter if they were boy or girl to them, nothing really matters to them. They just live life because well..you do only live once.

"We should go to the park" Buddy suggests.

"Ok" me and Jordan agree.

We get on our boards, I always had a need for speed. My pigtails flow in the breeze as I skate alongside Jordan, Buddy was in front.

I speed up a little going a little past Jordan.

"Why don't we ride skateboards more often?" Buddy asks Jordan

"I mean you can't ride on sand with a board so" Jordan trails off.

"I guess" Buddy agrees.

We ride into the entrance and slow down a little. I jump off my skateboard to go on the swings.

Buddy follows close behind me and I sit on one. Buddy on the others.

"You guys are idiots" Jordan says rolling his eyes and crossing his arms. After a few seconds he breaks a smile before getting on one beside me.

"Knew you would come around" I smile at my annoying brother.

"Weirdo" he mutters.

The boys starts talking about baseball and every time I said anything they'd brush it off because "I don't know anything about the game" .

I look down at my hands and just listen to them blabber about girls, baseball, stuff that doesn't involve me. As always, I'm always put out because I'm a girl.

Kenny's pov

"Guys be quiet" I say crouching behind the bushes.

The trio of kids skate right past us. You could clearly tell which one was Y/n. Her y/h/c hair flowed in the breeze behind her like no other. It's not often where you see a girl on a skateboard at 11:00 pm at night.

"Yeah yeah probably up to no good" yeah yeah whispers and I just shake my head.

Just looking at her she has a smiley demeanor, but she clearly looks left out. Each time yeah yeah throws a fit she kind of looks down. Even if she doesn't know it she's left out. We've down countless things without her already because she isn't a boy. It sucks.

We run behind a structure and watch as she plays on the swings with some boy and Philips.

The boys are talking with she just looks down at her hands.

"What's wrong with her?" Bertram asks referring to the boys talking and her just swinging gloomily.

I shrug even though I knew what happened.

"And so did you see that catch?" His friend asked.

"Yeah is was so cool" Philips raves.

"I saw too" she says

They both look at her. One lovestruck and Philips like she was nuts.

"Please, I bet you don't even know what a baseball looks like!" He says laughing historically.

Yeah yeah smirks and cracks a small laugh and I smack him for it.

"Asshole" I mutter.

"If you do...do you even know what to do with it" Phillips asks her.

"Do you want me to show you?" She asks.

"No" he says before laughing again.

I sigh and shake my head.

"He really is a jerk Benny" Squints says.

"Yeah...and she just smiles while they laugh?" Benny asks.

I look over at them again and she stands up

"Can we go home now" she mutters.

"Yeah you getting tired?" Phillips ask in a nice brotherly way. It's like he has bipolar syndrome.

She just nods with glossy eyes.

"Man what do we do?" I ask

"Leave em she'll deal with them." Yeah yeah says.

"What's your problem?" Benny asks him.

"You guys said it yourself shes tuff!" He defends.

"God yeah yeah" I mutter

"Let's go gang" Benny's whispers.