What did she do wrong

July 11, 1961

Yeah yeahs pov

I pace around my house trying to figure out what to do. Poor y/n is going to come to the sandlot today and is going to be humiliated or upset. Thanks to me...

I decided I wanted to warm her or atleast tell her what happened. But I don't want her to get mad at me, she needs to know.

I grab my hat and put it on my head backward, just like how y/n wore hers. I found myself copying the things she does, like a habit. She could throw her glove around from hand to hand, so I would throw my glove, hand to hand. Sometimes I would try to make it so we would walk at the same place, but would fail as she was shorter and walked faster.

I open the door and glance at her house, you could tell it was hers at it was the biggest on the street. I run down past Kenny's house where he sat outside cleaning the gutters.

"Hiya yeah yeah!" Where you headed?" He asks.

I didn't think much because I actually told him where I was going "y/n's house"

He looks at me weird "why?"

"Because I want to warn her. I mean everyone hates her now...except Benny" I add sourly.

"I don't hate her man! The other boys do because of you so I don't know why your warning her" he states.

"I didn't mean to and now I feel bad. I mean her life doesn't revolve around us after all!" I point out.

Kenny nods "that's what I was trying to tell them. But they listened to you because your like enemies with her" he says.

Enemies. That's what he thinks? That means thats probably what she thinks...

I gulp and just run to my house leaving Kenny looking at me wisely. I look at Benny's house and I can see his mom in the kitchen window making something. As I run a little longer I make it to her house. I glance up and see green and pink curtains framing a window which I assumed to be hers.

I knock and ring the doorbell at the same time. The door opens and my eyes meet a middle aged woman who I assumed to be her mother. She was tall and slender but look almost exactly like y/n. She had y/h/c hair and y/e/c eyes.

"Can I help you?" She asks me.

I stutter looking for words "I- yes. Um- is y/n there?" I ask.

The woman's eyes light up "yes hold on" she closes the door a little and walks away.

"Honey! A boy is here for you" I hear a faint yell.

"A boy? Ok!" Y/n says back. I hear the sound of footsteps down steps.

I'm met with y/n. Her hair in her signature pony tails, she wore a blue collared shirt tucked into even darker blue shorts.

"Yeah yeah?" She asks, confusion panted across her face.

"Yeah.." I mutter.

I begin telling her about the sandlot and how they all hated her with the exception of Benny and Kenny.

Her face turns red, I'm guessing with anger.

"Why would they hate me? I'm aloud to have other friends than them" she snarls.

I look down. She wasn't wrong, of course she can have other friends.

"Well I guess I'm not going then." She mutters closing the door.

I can't let her close it on me.

"Ok wait!" I say and she opens it more.

"I'll try to defend you! I mean I have Kenny and Benny. Everyone listens to Benny so you should be ok" I tell her.

The sun shines on her eyes making them look even prettier than they already were.

"Yeah yeah you can go now" she says snapping me out of my trance.

"Oh yeah, yeah right. Goodbye" I say and she grins before closing the door.

Now on to convincing the team.

I knock on Benny's door and he answers.

"Sup yeah yeah!" He greets stepping out with his glove.

"We need to convince the team to not be mad at y/n" I plead to him.

"Weren't you the one who-"

I interrupt him "I know, yeah yeah. I know I was the one who kinda started this, but now I feel bad" I rant.

Benny smiles "of course you do. Your just trying to cover up your crush"

My heart drops "my what?"

"Yeah! I saw the way you looked at her on the fourth of July! It's ok!" He tells me.

"Whatever let's just go"

After a little while Benny brings it up. "Guys?"

"What" they answer.

"We shouldn't be mad at y/n. I mean it was just one time" he says.

"She's not here today is she?" Ham asks.

Benny looks at me for help so I sigh. Here goes my life.

"Because I asked her not to come. I wanted to save her from embarrassment" I tell them and their jaws drop.

"YOU of all people!" Squints says.

"You started it!" Ham accuses.

"I know and it's because she didn't even do anything!" I tell them.

"Then why'd you say anything about her being a traitor?" Bertram asks with smile. He knew what I was doing, he's practically physic. He's doing this so I can admit it, but that's not happening.

"Because I" couldn't do this. I couldn't tell them.

"Because you like her" Bertram says. I hate you Bertram. I felt a wave of embarrassment but no one laughed.

"That was it the whole time?" Ham asks.

"Well then. Problem solved yeah yeah said it because he likes her and now feels bad because he couldn't express his emotions normally." Bertram says.

"Well then I forgive her" Timmy says.

"I forgive her" Tommy repeats.

"Good, good. Now let's play ball" Benny's says as if nothing happened.

The rest of the day was boring without y/n. I was also embarrassed about what just happened but relieved to know y/n should be back tomorrow.