stealing her

June 6th, 1961

"PLAYY BALL" Ham screams.

As Kenny is about to throw it he stops.

"HES ALIVE!" Ham yells as yeah yeah walks in slowly with his head down.

"Finally decided to show up huh" Kenny taunts.

"Finally got over your c- y/n being here?" Bertram asks and yeah yeah flips him off.

"No. I just want to play that's it" he mumbles.

"Alrighty let's go we ain't got all day" Benny says earning an eye roll from Yeah yeah.

Kenny throws it and Benny hits it coming in my direction. I propel myself of the fence jumping up and grabbing it.

Benny slows his run to see if I caught it along with the rest of the boys.

I flip the ball up in the air and all you can hear is the wows of the boys.

"How?" Benny asks.

"Cmon boys we ain't got all day" I say ignoring and imitating Benny and all the boys kinda snap out of the kind of daze they were in.

I throw yeah yeah the ball and he catches it wincing a little as it hits his glove. He throws it to squints, who throws it to Kenny.

Benny and Bertram switch so it's now Bertram batting. Something I've noticed is Bertram probably had the best sliding besides maybe Tommy.

After an hour or to of the boys rotating batter it was finally my turn.

"Alright here's my heater" Kenny says and I nod, my eye never leaving the ball.

He throws it and everything goes in slow motion. I hit it and go off running. I run hitting first second and finally third.

I slide just as Tommy catches it but I still beat him.

"Nice job y/n/n" Benny says clapping his hands together and catching the ball.

In the distance I hear a bell ring. Hence my time to get going home. My mom always did that so Philips was home on time for dinner, but now that's beginning to apply to me.

Alot has changed for me in literally a day. I have new friends to play ball with, and a possible enemy. And by enemy I mean yeah yeah. I guess everything can't be perfect..

"Guys that's my cue to go" I say taking my hair down and flipping my hat backward.

"Same" Benny and Kenny agree.

"Bye guys" I say smiling at the group of boys who decided to play catch.

"Bye, Y/n/n" they all say in unison.

I start my walk home.

"Do you guys want to hang out?" Kenny asks "like after dinner".

I shrug "I'll have to ask"

"Sure my mom won't mind" Benny agrees.

"Ok well if your parents say ok then I'll come get you" Benny says.

I nod "ok"

Kenny makes it to his house first so it leaves me and Benny. We walk in comfortable silence till Benny makes it to his house. Since we're neighbors he stood on his front porch watching me.

"You know we are six houses apart I'm sure I don't need a look out" I joke.

"Eh you never know" he says laughing.

I shrug and wave before entering my house. I walk in to the smell of shrimp, rice, and peas.

"Oh hello Y/n! For once your home after your brother" my mom greets.

"Yeah I have new friends" I say excited.

"Oh yeah?" She asks "tell me later"

"Oh yeah!" I remember Kenny's invite "I got invited to hang out with my friends"

"Good! Good! I'm proud your breaking out of your little shell" she says happy. Wait till she finds out they're boys.

"Well I only wanted to ask you if I could go" I say

"Of course why wouldn't I agree" she asks

"They are kinda boys..." I trail off. Stupid I shouldn't have even mentioned it. But hell...I can't lie to my mom!

"That's ok! As long as they're respectful then we won't have a problem" she says handing me a plate.

"Boys?" Jordan asks "wow could you be more tomboy? Act like a girl for once! Do hair, makeup, whatever!" He scolds earning a hard glare from my mother.

"Well they're probably cooler than you friends" I tell him.

"Please" he laughs

"And probably better at baseball too!" I say giving him the hint I'm playing.

"Wait- your watching boys play baseball instead of us?"

"No man I'm playing" I said owning up to it.

"Where there's not even any other.."

"The sandlot!" I saw

He's face turns pale "do you happen to know a Benny?" He asks "Benjamin Rodrigues" he says his full name.

The doorbell rings on cue. I smirk at him and stand up.

"Hi y/n!" Benny and Kenny say

"BeNnY WHY arE YOu HIttIng On mY SisTEr?" Jordan screams running to the front door.

Benny rolls his eyes "I'm not. I literally said hi" he claims.

"Your trying to get revenge huh? By stealing my sister from me" he assumes.

"Dude he's not stealing anything. You don't like girls playing ball and said I shouldn't. I'm hanging out with them because they accept me" I say as if Jordan was stupid...which he is.

"Yeah man, stop trying to sabotage everything we do" Kenny says.

"Fine...fine" Jordan calms down "I'm....happy for you. I guess. But this isn't over Rodriguez" he growls before slamming the door in our faces.

Benny sighs looking relieved and Kenny just smiles.

"I didn't get to finish my dinner but ok" I mutter walking down the steps.

"That escalated" Kenny states.

"Why does Jordan hate you so much?" I ask Benny.

"Well when we were younger...he was mad because I was the caption so, he made up a lie and it got me kicked off" Benny explains "he's probably mad because he was jealous thing I probably 'took his spot' or something" Benny says making quotation marks with his hands.

"Hm" I shrug before walking to Kenny's house.