Fourth of July

July 4, 1961

Yeah yeahs pov

"Yeah yeah!" Bertram says from the other side of my room.

"Hm" I mutter shuffling my baseball cards.

"We should get going it's 5:00" he says and my head shoots up to look at my clock. "already?" I mutter. Ok.

I sit up from my creaky bed and grab my glove.

"Let's go" I say and we run down the stairs out of the door just as Benny leaves his house.

"Hey dude" Bertram says running up to him and I just follow.

"Hang on guys I gotta get Y/n" he says running to her house. The biggest one on the street, spoiled brat.

He knocks on her door and it flings open. Atleast she's pretty. She was wearing a blue halter tank top, red shorts, and cool looking converse.

She had her hair in her signature two ponytails and a couple friendship bracelets

She peeks her head out and Benny says something and she nods. She closes the door partially before coming out with a glove. Her and Benny talk basically the whole way back to us so we all know that was interesting.

We all begin our run to the section of our street where the fireworks and stuff were happening to get food, but when it gets dark we are going to the sandlot. It's been like that for the past four years.

Y/n is a really fast runner, no wonder she always gets homers (home runs).

When we arrive practically all the boys are drooling over her. She walks up to Wendy peffercorn and talks to her and I turn to the boys.

"Ya think she'll ditch us again?" I ask, I kind of do like playing ball with her. She's pretty good, and funny, smart, overall a good player.

"Is that Wendy!" Squints asks pushing me out of the way.

"Whose better lookin'?" Kenny asks "Wendy or Y/n"

"Y/n"

"Y/n"

"Y/n for sure"

"Y/n"

"Y/n.. plus shes the best baseball player here aswell" Benny states

"Wendy peffercorn...." Squints mutters, the question flying over his head.

"Y/n" I mutter. It's true, her y/h/c hair, y/e/c eyes. She's practically a preteen supermodel.

"Woah yeah yeah didn't know you felt that way" Kenny jokes and everyone starts laughing.

"I said that out loud?" I ask feeling more embarrassed by the millisecond.

"Is this why you've hated her all along?" Squints asks. Oh now he hears that!

"Don't worry" Benny shushes the boys "we won't tell her!" He says. "Ain't that right boys?" He asks and a mixture of 'yeahs' go around.

I could've dropped dead right there. I didn't! But could've.

"Hey gang" y/n says popping up beside Timmy and Tommy.

We all say hi as if nothing had just happened.

"Alrighty let's get goin shall we boys? And girl" Ham says and we all start walking to the sandlot.

"Who bats first?" Y/n asks Benny.

"Uh you." Benny glances at me "you can. Just don't hit the ball over the fence!" He makes sure to make it a point. Y/n had never struck out before. She's never bat without getting a homer.

She nods "I can do that".

When we get there we all go to our spot.

"Alright no heater for you y/n. We want to keep our ball" He says.

"I have atleast twenty" she states and Benny steps forward.

"Yeah but we don't want to waste time so let's go" He claps and y/n shrugs and gets in her stance.

Kenny throws it and she barely swings, but it still goes flying.

"How do you even get it that high you barely moved!" Ham asks and she shrugs.

"Strength." Was all she says before running the bases and still getting a homer.

She was right. She was the strongest one here, the best one here at baseball. She is so good at baseball. I was in denial but it's true. Mainly the only reason I realized it was because, when y/n and I got Benny out. Together...I realized she's not bad.

"Yeah yeah snap out of it!" Squints yells.

I blink rapidly and realize it's my turn to bat.

Y/n crouches down beside me. Ok so she's playing catcher.

Kenny throws it and it all goes in slow motion. I hit the ball and start running.

I hit 1st.

2nd.

3rd.

I slide and yes! I look back at y/n who wasn't even paying attention to me or my home run. Why do I even try.

I walk to third base and stand there feeling kind of sad she didn't see. She always gets them, maybe shes so used to getting them it doesn't mean anything to her. Maybe it's not such a good thing she's better than us.

The fireworks end and we all start getting tired. The boys decided to split up and since I lived in kind of the middle of all of us, I just decided to walk with y/n, Kenny, ham, and Benny.

My house comes into distance and I sigh. Y/n hasn't said a word to me, not even a glance. I stop at my house and turn around to see the boys, and y/n.

"Bye guys" I mutter.

"Bye!" They all say and y/n speaks up. "Oh and nice home run" she says before walking along with the boys.

"She did notice me!" I whisper to myself.

I walk to my front door, closing it quickly, and quietly.

"Hey Alan" mom says.

"Hey" I greet in response.

"How was the night game?" She asks.

"Really good! I got a home run!" I say running up the stairs but stop in my tracks. "Hey mom?"

"Yeah honey?" She asks.

"Remember that girl from the other day? The one who slept over with us?" I ask her.

"Yeah, shes really sweet" mom responds

"Well shes really good at baseball. She even congratulated me on my home run!" I tell my mom.

"I'm so excited this is the first girl you've talked about ever!" My mom says her voice getting cheery.

"Yeah well....I think--- I think" I stutter not sure if I should say the word.

"Spit it out kid" she pleads.

"I think I like----her" I finally get out, mentally cursing at myself for saying such a thing.

My mom gasps super loud "CONGRATULATIONS. Your first crush!!!!!" She says and you could hear her jumping up and down.

"Well... We'll talk about this tomorrow" mom states "it's 12:00 am you should be asleep so go" she says.

I nod and get ready for bed.

What have I done?