Eavesdrop

October 28, 1961

It was a sunny, yet breezy Saturday morning in Utah.

"Cmon you got it" Y/n says to tommy as she throws very slowly for him.

He hits it and it goes right past her, and about five yards out. Tommy starts his run but only making it to first.

"Better! Better!" Y/n says calling her hands.

Tommy smiles at her, she was helping him with batting, because he had the running part down.

Y/n throws the ball to Kenny and he steps up to pitch.

"Alright let's see it yeah yeah" Benny encourages.

In the corner of his eye he says y/n staring at him intently. His face heats up, but that only made him focus more.

"Let's see it! Let's go" Benny says crouching down as a catcher.

Kenny smirks and winds up, throwing it as hard as he could. It all went in slow motion from there. The ball came closer and closer, then finally.

*Smack*

The sound of the wooden bat hitting the ball rang though out the sandlot. The ball soars through the air and hits the fence almost going over.

Y/n at the ball that was now soaring towards her. She catches it with ease before throwing it to squints. But yeah yeah was almost there, he dives hitting these base before squints can tag it.

"Darn!" Squints yells taking if his glasses and cleaning them.

A smile creeps upon y/n's face, shocked. She adjusts her backward hat to sit upon her double ponytails better. Yeah Yeah looks over at her, only to whiteness her shaking her head in disbelief. He smirks and turns back throwing the ball to Kenny.

"Nice one!" He congratulates Yeah Yeah. Yeah yeah thanks him and looks back at y/n who was looking at him, biting her nails.

He smirks to himself, the only thing he could think about was for once it wasn't just him staring at her. He thought maybe it was only because he made a home run. But at least he still got her attention!

A loud bell rings through the neighborhood and y/n's head shoots up. Yeah yeah sighs because he knows what that means.

"That my cue to go!" She says taking her glove off.

She grabs her half empty coke bottle, and walks to the half open gate. She creeps through the little gap there was and the last thing the boys saw was her blue flannel flowing in the breeze, behind her.

"Aw man!" Squints pouts "it's no fun without her!" And the rest of the boys agree.

"Eh! I'm hungry I'm going!" Ham says leaving shortly after.

The boys leave one by one, leaving Benny and Yeah Yeah to throw and catch.

"So" Benny starts.

"So" yeah yeah repeats after him.

"Y/n" Benny starts smirking and yeah yeah rolls his eyes.

"What about her?" He asks catching the ball, and throwing it back.

"I saw you looking" was all Benny said before smiling even more.

Yeah yeah turns red and shrugs "yeah, yeah I know" he starts laughing.

"You should tell her man!" Benny starts but Yeah yeah interrupts.

"No, no I can't! Too soon! Plus, it could ruin our friendship" he says running his hands through his hair.

"Ok!" Benny shrugs "your decision I guess" he doubts Yeah Yeah.

The sun begins to go down, so the boys decided to walk home.

"How is that even possible" Yeah Yeah asks Benny.

"I don't know but like two guys did it! So it's definitely possible" Benny says as the boys cross the street.

"They were probably pros, no kids, like us for that matter; can bust the guts out of a ball" Yeah yeah doubts laughing.

"Well.." Benny trails off shrugging.

As they begin walking past y/n's house they see y/n in her window.

Benny glances up at her window after yeah yeah does, but gets pulled back behind a bush.

"Dude what the he-"

"Shhhh" yeah yeah shushes him and points up at the open window.

They begin to eavesdrop on her conversation.

"Really! That's great!" Y/n smiles through the phone at Wendy.

"Anyway, how was baseball?" Wendy asks her.

"Good! Got a home run, and the only other people who did were Benny and Yeah yeah" y/n says.

"Ohhh the one you lik-" Wendy starts but gets cut off by y/n.

"I don't like him! Simply friends" she says.

The only person they could hear was y/n, so they only heard the part about her not liking someone. But who? Benny or Yeah yeah? Yeah yeah had noticed her and Benny were quite close.

"Please I see the way he looks at you!" Wendy says through the phone "it's like he's in lov-"

"OK! ALRIGHT" y/n screams so should didn't have to hear the L-word.

Benny and Yeah yeah look at eachother for a split second.

"No I don't like him, he doesn't like me. He only looks at me because...I don't know he has eyes!" Y/n dismisses things.

Y/n was trying to ignore the fact that he liked her, the only problem was...she didn't really like him back. At most, she thought he was cute. She just couldn't like someone who was so mean and vile to her.

"Why not!" Wendy whines "he clearly does or something! You can't go from bulling someone to being their close friend in the span of a month!"

"We're friends!" Y/n say laughing.

The laugh that yeah yeah loved, but rarely heard. She seemed to be quieter around him rather than any other boy on the team. And that was because of how he treated her.

"I've got to go!" Wendy says laughing.

"Aight! See ya!" Y/n says before hanging up the phone.

"Let's go" Benny says grabbing yeah yeahs arm.

The only thing they could hear from her room from then on, was the crack of her bed as she jumped on it.

Yeah yeah didn't know how to feel. Was she talking about him of yeah yeah?