Campout

November 17, 1961

After hitting my third ball over the fence the boys groan.

"Cmon that's the third one!" Ham whines collapsing on the ground do to the heat

"I wish I could hit a girl" Tommy mutters and I laugh at that one.

"That's my cue to go catcher" I say grabbing the glove from Ham.

"Yeah yeah! No more batting for you" Yeah yeah says putting his glove back on.

"I still don't understand why we can't get it" I say rolling my eyes and looking over at the fence that was now rumbling.

"THE BEAST!" The boys yell in unison and I roll my eyes once again.

"A dog!" I yell back "it's just a dog!" I say laughing at the boys' shocked faces.

Kenny cracks is neck side to side before throwing the ball to Tommy. Tommy hits it backward instead, so it heads straight for my head. I duck and the ball flys straight over my head and hits the fence behind us.

"Wow" was all I could get out before grabbing the ball that rolled back to me.

I throw it back to Kenny and he catches it with ease. He winds up, before throwing his heater. Tommy swings but misses it, therefore it lands in my glove.

"Nice try, nice try" I mutter to myself throwing it back. "Strike one!" I say setting up again.

He throws it once again, landing in my glove. "Strike two" I say throwing it back.

"Cmon man you got it" I say hyping Tommy up. Kenny throws it once again, I expected to feel weight in my glove but then.

*Smack*

Goes the ball, and Tommy goes off running. The boys let out cheers as the last ball goes over the fence. I smile at Tommy who gives me a thumbs up, that I return.

"We don't have a ball anymore" Kenny sighs.

"Who cares? That was awesome!" Timmy cheers on his little brother.

I stand up in disbelief "may I ask why you guys arent mad at him like you would have been with me" I ask cracking a small smile.

"Well we're used to you being good at baseball. Plus, it gets annoying when everytime I pitch it gets hit" Kenny says patting my back.

"I guess" I mutter.

"Well what do we do now?" Benny asks taking off his glove. I look around and it's silent.

"Campout?" Yeah yeah asks looking at me in the corner of his eye. I look at Kenny and nod. Kenny nods at Timmy, tommy, and so on.

"Campout" we all say in unison. I pick up my glove and bat and start my way to the exit.

"I walk you home y/n!" Benny says running up next to me. I just nod and Benny opens the gate for me.

"Thanks" I say and Benny nods slinging his bat over his shoulder. "How's school?" Benny asks as he's in the grade above me.

"Good...good" I begin to think about me and Yeah Yeah. He was being oddly nice very quickly, but it's cool! Atleast he's being nice, I don't care the reason behind it.

"You know... Yeah Yeah and you have been a little friendly" Benny says looking at me. I look into his hazel eyes and sigh. "I know and it's kind of sudden. Maybe a little weird...but who cares" I shrug.

Benny nods looking to the other side.

Third person.

The children climb one by one up the ladder. Y/n being last by choice, she didn't want boys looking at her in any way.

"Does anyone know how to use these?" Ham asks holding up a match stick and candle.

The word 'no' rang throughout the small space. "Not without burning this place down" Kenny says.

"Yeah, hand it" Y/n says grabbing the match. The boys watched her intently as she scratches the match against the wooden floor lighting it up.

"Woah" Benny says "atleast on of us is smart" Kenny adds.

She lights the candle, the light shining on her face. Making her y/e/c eyes more prominent, and her face glow. The boys stare at her as if she's an angel before she blows the fire out.

"Where'd you learn that?" Ham asks taking the matches back. Y/n looks out the window at the beast "uhm...dad" she says referring to his cigars.

"The beast is down there you know" squints says creeping up behind her to look at the sleeping dog. She nods "I can see that...and it's a dog"

She jumps up on the window seal where squints yells all his stories and the moon shines on her face. All the boys distracted looking at her.

The boys study her features all of them mesmerized. Just then the Benny began to see her the same way the others boys at school did. She wasn't just hus teammate..she was

Beautiful.

And fucking badass.