Maybe you have a crush

October 14, 1961

Me and Wendy scanned the rack for dresses

"I'm going as Marilyn Monroe, what about you?" Wendy asks me.

I shrug "I kinda want to go as Dorothy" (don't drag me for this choice, again she is only 12).

"I mean, I already have the shoes, just need a dress" I tell her and she smirks.

"I have a dress literally perfect for that! And it'll probably fit you too because my mom accidentally bought it a little small for me.

I nod "cool"

"Well.." Wendy trails off "what are we waiting for let's go!" She says running in the direction of her house.

I shrug and follow her down the street. Catching up with her very quickly. I could feel my blue flannel flying in the breeze.

It was beginning to get cold in Utah, so it was very windy. The trees began to turn orange, red, and yellow and we're slowly falling down.

"Hey y/n!" Timmy says waving from his yard, where he was raking leaves that had fallen into his yard.

I wave back and we turn the corner, and began down Wendy's street. We run down and see many young men, around the ages of 11-17. Nearly all of the stares at us while running past, some waved some didn't even pay attention.

"Hey Wendy, y/n!" A guy greets. I had no idea who he was, but waved. He seemed to be like 14 so he probably new my brother or went to my school.

"Hiya girls!" A pair of twins waved. They both seemed to be around 13. They looked identical but one had blonde hair and one had light brown.

"Hey Johnny, Sammy!" Wendy says waving and I just waved aswell.

We enter her house that was dark blue, with dirty white shutters. We walk up the creaky, wooden stairs and walk down the hall. We enter her small, but cozy yellow room.

It was light yellow, like a watered down lemonade shade. She had a dark wooden day bed in the corner of her room, and a matching desk across from it. She had a long red mirror with painted polka dots, leaning against the wall. The floor was dark wooden almost the same color as her bed. She had a light green carpet that covered atleast half her floor.

"Come on" she says grabbing my arm and opening her closet.

Her closet was very colorful, not one plain shirt. She pulls out a blue, gingham, dress just like the one from the movie.

"Its perfect!" I gush.

"Here you can have it! Now all you need is a white tee-shirt and some red shoes!" She smiles.

I nod looking at the clothing brand tag.

"Well here yo-" her telephone rings "hold on" she puts a finger up.

"Hello, Wendy speaking!" She says her smile fades and she slams the phone down.

"Stupid boys! Prank calling!" She says jumping on her bed.

She pulls out a scrapbook that was around halfway filmed.

"So my mom got this polaroid of us" she says showing the picture to me. It was a picture of me and Wendy outside in her driveway.

Wendy was holding a jump rope, she appeared to be laughing. I was sitting on the sidewalk with a piece of chalk in my hand laughing aswell.

"My mom took three pictures. One for me, one for you, and one for my scrapbook" she says handing me the polaroid.

They were all the pretty much the same, the only difference was that the one in her book Wendy wasn't smiling and I was.

"That's a pretty good picture!" I said.

Some cameras had color now, but they only really used them for like models and television.

The one my mom had only took black and white, with a slight yellow tint.

"My mom's a photographer" Wendy states.

"What's your dad do?" I ask her.

"He's in Vietnam right now. You know, the war" she states. "Yours?" She asks.

"Lawyer" I state.

A pink alarm clock rings on her bedside table and she grins turning it off.

"Its 5:30? You know what that means?" She asks excitedly.

I shake my head 'no'.

"That Andy Griffen show you dork!" She jokes turning on an old wooden television with yellow outlines.

"Since you sleeping over, when the show ends; do you want to like rollor skate around" she asks.

"Sure" I nod shrugging.

A little while passes and the show finally ends. She grabs her rollor skates and since I don't have any I just decided to skateboard.

Wendy changes from her light green flowered dress and white cardigan, to a yellow t shirt and and orange short/skirt.

We roam around the neighborhood, laughing, skating and on Wendy's behalf, falling.

I was very good on my skateboard, Wendy was good at rollor skating but she hit the curb and fell.

We begin coming up on the movie theater when I see my team.

"Hey guys! Hanging out without me huh!" I say fake being offended.

"Uh- well we, I-" Ham stutters.

"We wanted to have a boys night, hang out with out you" Kenny simplifies for them.

"Offended" I say.

"We didn't mean to-" Benny says but I interrupt him.

"Dude I don't really care, I was hanging out with Wendy." I say looking back at Wendy who was looking at the signs of what movies they're playing.

"Yeah well, or movie starts in.." Yeah yeah trails off looking at his watch "now"

"See ya guys!" I say grabbing Wendy's arm.

We begin skating away and you could hear squints faint voice "I live you Wen-" but it was cut off.

Me and Wendy start laughing like crazy at him.

"He's in love with you!" I say crying, I was laughing so hard.

"He's kinda ok, but he's like two years younger than me" Wendy says laughing.

"So? My parents are four years apart!" I say nudging her arm.

"No!" She screams in agony while laughing.

"Well what about you!" Wendy asks.

"What about me?" I ask getting a little confused.

"Your friends with a group of boys! You've got to like one!" She says like it's obvious.

I think. Benny's cute, but I don't think so. Yeah yeah is cute, and he's kinda nice too. I definitely think of him as more attractive now that he's nicer.

"Ohhh" Wendy says.

"I said that out loud?" I ask laughing.

She nods vigorously smiling.

"Maybe you have a crush!"