Chapter 1

*Eros*

Today was the day. I'd been planning it for the last 2 days. Quick and easy. I just had to get through today. Though at the pace it seemed to be going it felt like it'd take years. 

Its been a few months since my parents died and despite going to therapy three times a week , as per my aunts request , I really don't feel different. The constant pain and simultaneous numbness doesn't let up. 

There are times where I find myself laughing or thinking about something else but they never last long. My chest feels so heavy and sometimes I find it hard to breathe. It's gotten to the point where I am disappointed to wake up. I just don't see anything changing soon. I constantly think of them and my whole body aches. I'm left with only one way out. Today after school I'm going to free myself from the constraints of this life.

The bell rang loud, ripping me from my thoughts. Almost immediately my homeroom teacher, Mrs. Kolkata entered leading to silence overtaking the classroom. 

'' Good morning pupils.'' Her voice rang, bouncing off the walls and assaulting my ears. '' Today we begin with the introduction of a new learner. Despite how strange it may seem that he transferred here midyear, there were special circumstances that lead to it. His name is Ajax, please introduce yourself.''

The boy walked in from the hallway, obviously nervous, fidgeting with his hands. The unspoken rule for teachers to subject learners to unnecessary trauma by urging them to speak in front of a class of new learners, in a new school,  on their first day, has indeed claimed another.

He was quite tall, though not taller than myself. He had long brown hair that reached past his shoulders, dark caramel skin and an alluring blue color sparkling from his eyes. 

He took a deep breath and almost instantly his entire aura changed. He seemed calm and confident. Letting out a slight smirk he opened his mouth to talk. '' Well, I actually go by AJ and I'm from somewhere you probably haven't heard of. I also don't enjoy socializing so don't take it personally.'' 

And with that he was off to the back of the classroom to find a seat. Something about him just made him seem different.

Class droned on as usual and before long it was lunch. Maybe this day wasn't going to take as long as I thought. The very idea of being with my parents gave me hope in a dark and twisted kind of way. 

''Hey, you mind if I sit here?'' I heard a voice coming from behind me ask. I turned to meet the blue eyes of the new kid. Now that I seen it from so close and in the sunlight , I think it's more of an Egyptian blue. 

'' No'' was all I said. He took a seat and began eating a burger he'd bought for lunch. '' You not eating anything?'' he spoke again.

'' No I forgot my lunch at home'' I lied effortlessly. Before I could get lost in my own thoughts I was interrupted by him putting his burger in my face.

'' If you want, I don't mind sharing.'' I almost smiled at the gesture but caught myself in time.

''No I'm all good ,thanks'' 

''So, why are you sitting all alone? Do you not fit in?''

I turned to look at him as I processed the unexpected question. '' No, I prefer space to think.'' I said faster than I would've preferred. 

He smiled at me before continuing to chomp on his burger. Seeming clueless to the hint I'd dropped.

'' You're cute , but in a deep kind of way. If that makes sense.'' he said with a slight smirk.

I kept my head down as I suddenly began to feel nervous. '' Am I?'' I asked sarcastically.

''What's your name? I'm ...'',

 '' Ajax'' I said confidently.

''I prefer AJ'' he responded.

'' Well Ajax, I'm Eros and as good as this conversation was, I've got to get to class.'' I said as I got up and started to walk away. 

''Where you headed?''  I heard him say as he caught up.

''AP biology '' I replied with little enthusiasm.

''Me too. Want to walk to class together?'' he said with a proud smirk.

I didn't answer ,but I did have to stop myself from smiling.