Chapter 7

*Eros*

The morning bell rang sending a swarm of students through the halls. I snaked my way to home room excited to see Ajax. As soon as I entered I was greeted with a smile and a nod that sent butterflies to my stomach. I could feel my cheeks warm up as I felt his gaze on me right until I took my seat.

'' How was your night'' he whispered with a cheeky grin. ''Think of anyone special?'' 

I chuckled at the question before responding, '' No not really. It was an okay night'' .

His smile grew wider and he sucked at his teeth before turning back to his desk. Throughout the lesson we exchanged glances, smiles and a few playful pokes here and there.

 As we got up to leave class I reached over for his hand but he immediately jerked away. He looked at me with apologetic eyes but said nothing as he walked on. Leaving me in a puddle of confusion. 

The rest of the day went by quick and I'd chalked Ajax's curious reaction up to him not being out. It was the only thing that made sense and I felt bad for not actually talking about it first. 

Finally arriving home I threw my bag on the floor and sprinted upstairs. I threw myself on the bed and stared up at the ceiling. So many thoughts rushed through my head but only one of them interested me. Ajax. I hope I didn't mess things up with him by being so thoughtless. 

In other news I haven't had my usual thoughts as often as before. They were still there but somehow they weren't as bad. I guess that was good. It made me feel hopeful for my future.

Maybe I would live to actually see what it holds.

My thoughts were interrupted by a message I'd received on my phone. I was not like normal teenagers who was constantly glued to my phone screen. Half the time I'd forgotten it was even there.

Looking at the bright screen, it took my eyes a few minutes to adjust before I could read the notification.

-Meet at our spot?- 

I knew exactly who it was and I felt relief. I didn't waste anytime getting off my bed to change. I was excited but nervous at the same time. What would I say? What would he say?

I pushed my thoughts aside as I left my front door taking a deep breath before I began my journey. 

Before long I was approaching Ajax, who stood staring out across the water. He looked at home right there in that moment. The suns rays danced across his caramel skin and his hair shone with a hazel color.

 Almost as if he could sense my presence he turned to look at me. I stood where I was planted to the ground by his lingering stare. I felt all my insecurities bubble to the surface. Then it all went away when I felt his warm hand come into contact with my shoulder. I looked up at him and a warm smile decorated his face. I let out a smile of my own and his hand dropped to fidget with my fingers. 

I looked down at our intermingling hands before looking up and being met with his Egyptian blue eyes. All my worries liquefied and left me as I got more and more lost in him. Just being around him made me feel safe and at home.

Finally he spoke, ''About earlier today, I'm sorry for how I reacted. Its just that I can't do those things in public. I can't stand out or draw any attention to myself.'' .

'' Does your family not know your interested in boys? Are they homophobic?'' I asked before I could filter my words.

'' No, no its not that. It's just that I have to hold a certain standard to my reputation.'' 

'' Oh, so I'm not up to your standard'' I said as I dropped his hands and stepped backwards.

He moved forward roping me by the waist and closing the space between us. '' Don't ever think that. That's not what I meant. I'm supposed to be with someone my parents picks out for me.'' He said with heaviness trailed in his voice.

I knew that in some cultures, arranged marriage was still a common practice but I'd never thought about it as anything I'd ever come across. I heard the weight of his words as soon as he spoke them. There was also a deep sense of sadness.

'' I'm sorry, I didn't know. That really sucks.'' I said as I searched for a better reply.

'' It's okay how could you have known?''

'' Is it a culture thing?'' I blurted out again unable to filter my words.

'' No, it's more of a duty thing. But lets not talk about that anymore. I wanna live in the moment. Why don't you join me'' he said as he reached his hand out. I took it without hesitation and he led me to the side of the river. 

''Tonight's a full moon. What do you say we make it a date?'' He said with so much confidence and warmth I couldn't say no.

'' An official date?'' I asked as I made air quotes around the word official.

He let out a chuckle before pulling me in for a deep kiss.

'' If you'll have me as your date.'' he said with a slight blush. 

I looked pass the corny sentiment of his previous statement. 

'' First we need to get supplies'' I said as I began walking away. '' I'll raid my house you raid yours''.

'' Raid? Wait what exact supplies are we talking here?'' he said with a mischievous smile.

'' snacks, drinks anything worth the risk of angering our parents. '' I replied, being as  vague as possible.

The last thing I seen before running off into the woods was his Egyptian blue eyes sparkling with the reflection of the sun and his signature smirk.

__________________________________

This was a relatively short chapter but the best is yet to come. I hope you enjoyed all the same. If you did ,remember to leave a vote and comment on where you think the story might be going. Looking forward to the fresh perspective