Chapter 8

*Eros*

I stood at the edge of the banks looking out over the water. I'd set down a blanket with store bought snacks I'd raided from the kitchen cabinets. I'd been hoping that Ajax would bring something to drink, which made me realize just how 'in the moment' this date was. I had so many questions about his arranged marriage-duty thing , but I didn't want to pressure him into talking about it, especially given that he didn't want to.

Looking at the moon I became entranced. The way light reflected off of it revealing all its deepest insecurities and yet still it remained beautiful and confident. The moon calmed me and helped me feel free. It had always had this effect on me, though on this particular night its effects felt empowering.

After staring at the moon for so long my gaze dropped to the body of water in front of me. There was something about how the moon's rays danced across the surface of the water that pulled me closer. It  was almost as if it was reaching out for me waiting for me to accept it's invitation.  So inviting. So warm. 

I felt a sudden tug on my shoulder which sent me reeling backwards to the cold hard ground. I was ripped from my thoughts and almost instantly the vibes I'd been feeling went away. I felt a touch of disappointment.

But then I came into contact with the most beautiful shade of blue I'd ever encounted and my disappointment left me. The moon rays accepted him and illuminated his features as he leaned above me with a concerned expression.

''Hey there'' I said with a smirk.

'' What was that?'' Ajax let out. He sounded hoarse as if he had eaten sandpaper.

'' I don't know. Kind of just got lost in the moment ,I guess'' I said ,not entirely convinced myself.

'' Well I hope that was all there was to it'' he said as he pulled me up, ''wouldn't want anything to ruin our date now would we?'' he continued as he lead me back to the blanket I'd splayed out. Except that it was decorated with rose petals and one single weird, fat candle smacked right in the center of it all.

'' Wow! You went all out'' I said with a smile I couldn't contain. 

He walked toward me and wrapping his arms around my waist said '' Off course I did. This is our first date.''. He sent a wink my way before pulling me down with him. 

Time went by so fast and by the time I realized it, there was two minutes left before midnight.

I smiled to myself as I thought of something I would never admit to anyone.

'I HAD SPENT THE ENTIRE NIGHT WITH A BOY'

It seemed lame but to me it was a huge deal. It meant that I had the potential to do so many more firsts. Thinking about it now I wouldn't mind if all my firsts just so happened to be with Ajax. He seemed perfect, so much so I was scared that he wasn't real.

I locked my phone after sending off Aunt Sylvie a warning text that I might not be back tonight, and I noticed the subtle change on the clock. It was now officially midnight. 

As if on cue the entire forest fell eerily quiet. Then the wind picked up and a weird bubbling noise started and grew louder and louder. Ajax and I stood up and looked at each other. His face held a worrying grimace that made my stomach whirl.

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the source of the weird sound. It was the water. For some reason it was bubbling and it was glowing almost a light blue. It raised at least 6 feet into the air and despite it facing away from the moon it still held it's reflection. 

'' What the fuck!'' I yelled unable to process what I was seeing. 

'' What do we do?!'' Ajax screamed as he grabbed my hand, clutching it tightly.

I didn't get the chance to comprehend his question because the noise got louder, the wind stronger and the water higher. At this point it was towering over us menacingly, its shadow engulfing ours.

Without having enough time to react the wave came down hard, crashing atop the both of us and if that wasn't weird enough it seemed to be picking us up. It lifted us high into the air before dropping slowly back to it's original height. The last thing I remember seeing was the now empty picnic blanket that seemed to be as dry as a bone. Then everything went black.