Chapter 5

*Eros*

Waking up the next morning felt different. It didn't feel like the best thing in the world but it felt easier. 

After getting done for school I stood in front of the mirror, just staring at myself. I slowly brushed at my wrists and thought to myself that had it not been for Ajax, I wouldn't have been here.

Thinking about it now I realized just how selfish it was. The amount of hurt I'd inflict on Aunt Sylvie and my little sister. It was stupid for me to think that that was the only way out. It was stupid for me to think that it was even an option.

I'm just relieved that I've come to my senses. Even though life doesn't seem as amazing as it used to be, there was still a glimmer of hope for my future to be somewhat decent.

''Eros, breakfast is ready!'' I heard Aunt Sylvie scream.

I rushed down and immediately claimed my usual seat, letting out a soft 'good morning'.

''That was fast'' Aunt Sylvie noted.

''Yeah, I'm just really hungry today.''

I looked over at Paris, my younger sister as I gave her wink which was met with a big smile.

As I walked into the school today, I found myself not having the usual thoughts of turning around and going home. 

I was nervous to see Ajax but excited at the same time. When the morning bell sounded I went to class. I was surprised to find the seat Ajax had chosen yesterday empty. Instead, he now occupied the seat next to my own.

I didn't know how to feel about it, but I also didn't want to read into it too much. He waved me over and gave a wink with that suggestive smile of his. His eyes seeming extra vibrant. It was right then and there that I decided my new favorite color was Egyptian blue.

I nodded and sat, nervous to say anything. 

Classes droned on and we chatted a little here and there. When lunch time rolled around, I was happy to see that Ajax had already been waiting for me. He seemed to have brought an entire feast for lunch. His smug little smirk told me everything I needed to know.

''What's with all of this?'' I asked with a raised eyebrow.

'' It's nothing I just felt extra hungry today.'' he said with an innocent smile. '' You wanna join?''

'' Sure, I could eat'' I replied sounding unconvinced.

'' So, why do you really sit alone?'' he asked after a while of silence.

I turned to look at him and somehow I seen the sincerity in his eyes. I felt like I could trust him, which was ridiculous given that I'd only just met him.

'' Well, I think it's obvious that I don't really have friends.'' I said with a shaky voice which had come out of nowhere.

'' Well, I'm your friend now.'' He said softly.

I didn't want him to pity me. I couldn't even bare the feeling of anyone else pitying me.

'' I used to have friends. I just don't have the same friends now?''

He looked up at me, almost as though he could feel the hurt that I'd felt.

''Any particular reason?'' he asked sounding a bit hesitant.

'' Well, something happened and I just needed my own space. People in this school tend to be a bit overbearing when tragedy strikes.'' I said meekly. 

'' What type of...'' he halted when he looked at me. I guess he could tell I didn't want to talk about it based on my expression. I appreciated that he didn't press me any further.

''So what do you guys do for fun around here?'' he asked, breaking the silence.

'' Well, I don't know what everyone else does but I enjoy a good swim after a long day of school.'' I said as I thought back to all the time I'd spent at 'my spot' just wasting the day.

'' Well than it's a date.'' he said with more confidence than I was used to.

I didn't respond. The only word that I'd been thinking about was the word 'date'. I don't know if he meant it in that way or if it was just a figure of speech.

'' If you want to that is.'' he said biting his lip with a more nervous look. I don't know if it was my hesitation or my expression that had made him lose his confidence but I felt so bad yet found it so cute all at the same time.

After a while, I let out a slight chuckle before saying, '' Yep, it's a date.''

Before the conversation could go anywhere else, the bell rang. I left the break area with a smile for the first time in months.