Chapter 27

*Ajax*

I started toward Eros to make sure he was okay but just before I could reach him I felt myself being thrown out of the way. It happened so quickly and left my ears ringing from the pain. I rolled off my back as I tried to gain my baring's again. I looked over to Eros who was still crouching on the floor, his veins popping out of his head as he screamed.

Seeing Eros like that made my heart beat faster and that's when I felt myself getting up and running towards him again. It was as though I didn't have control over my body. I reached him and put up a barrier without thinking. Eros was way too distracted to notice me using magic. After the barrier was up he visibly relaxed but he still held his ears breathing in deeply.

"What the fuck was that" he asked and selfishly I was happy to hear his voice again though I didn't have time to relish in my small victory as the thought was interrupted by my shield shattering.

I swung around to get a better visual on what was attacking us and seen giant sized wolves staring back at me. They were sneering flashing their huge canines. I  backed up at the sight  taking in all I was seeing, because it had been years since anyone had seen a living Lycanth. My parents used to tell me stories of their ancestors and their missions to wipe out the wolves as a means of survival, there was even a tapestry dedicated to all their victories.

Seeing so many all at once, I was amazed to say the least.

Suddenly one lunged at me and in a panic I used my magic to throw it aside. I looked back at Eros who was standing up now and was in shock. Then he ran over to the wolf I'd just tossed and seemed to be checking on it. Now it was my turn to wear the surprised face.

I seen a glimmer of guilt flash in his eyes before he turned towards the still snarling wolves.

"Back off! What are you doing? Why are you attacking him?" he screamed at them holding a hand out as if to separate them from me.

" Almost simultaneously one of the wolves turned back into a man. He was old and from his body language he seemed to be the leader.

"Don't you see Eros. He is of witch kin. The very same kin which tried to wipe us out. Don't you smell his nature? That is a witch Eros and we do not associate with them." he said and every word sounded like he was spitting venom. He loathed my kind and it was sorely obvious.

Eros turned to look at me and he seemed to be analysing things. Then a surprised expression took over his face again as he realised what I was.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you but as prince of Salem it's my greatest responsibility to ensure the protection of my people over anything else." I said before he could think anything but the truth, and as the words left my lips I felt the true weight of them.

" You're a witch? And a prince? " he asked quizzically and all I did was nod in return.

"And I take it you're a Lycanth?" I asked trying to make sense of everything.

Before anything else could be said I felt a huge weight come down on my back and it pierced my skin.I screamed in pain as I fell forward hitting the ground with a thud.

Then the rest of the wolves started to close in around me. My back was now much warmer as my blood oozed out. Eros ran toward me and grabbed me shielding me with his body.

"Leave him be. He isn't his ancestors and he didn't have a hand in the murder of your people. Please, don't do this." he screamed desperation clearly lining his words.

"The murder of OUR people Eros. As it is as much your loss as it is ours and we will have our justice. Who receives this justice is not as important as the message which will be sent. We are wolves, we do not bow down to witches anymore. So step out from in front of that creature or you will regret it. Remember that you have never transformed yet, therefore you do not have enough power to fend off even a single one of us, let alone the other five. Choose wisely little Eros." he said with a menacing tone which made me weary. Eros stood his ground holding me as tight as he could.