Chapter 17

*Ajax*

It was finally midnight, which meant it was time for action. I did the cliché thing of going through my favourite outfits trying to find one Eros might take a liking too, which seems dumb knowing that he's not superficial. He's so different to the people I normally have to deal with and perhaps that's what attracted me to him.

He grounds me and helps me see things from different perspectives. He makes me feel like I'm my own person, like I'm more than who my parents insist I am. That's why I want to be with him. That's why I need to be with him.

No matter the challenges and obstacles, nor the hoops I'd inevitably have to jump through. I'm done living as my parents' puppet. I'm living for myself.

"My prince" Reese said as he bowed with sarcasm. " Are you ready to be escorted the fuck out of here?"

I chuckled before saying, " More than you'll ever know."

We managed to sneak passed Charles who was posted down the hall, a fact I had not known until this very night. Goes to show just how committed to being the perfect son I was.

We exited the castle and after taking one more look back, I turned and we began running. The guard dogs would find us but I paid more than enough attention in the art of illusion classes, so I was well equipped to deal with the issue. Thank you Mrs. Cho.

After what felt like forever we finally reached the gates, which as expected was protected by wards put up by my parents themselves, all to ensure that we'd be 'safe' though now I realise it was to keep us all captors ready to be controlled.

" So how do you plan on bringing down the wards?" Reese asked with an obvious tone of nervousness.

"Well, with the spell that unlocks it off course" I said with a sly smile.

"I know you're strong but strong enough to do a spell that can only be performed by the king and queen of Salem? The two strongest witches of recent generations? You're ambitious I'll give you that but the possibility of you doing this is almost 0." he said, his voice fraught with doubt.

" Almost zero, is a good enough chance for me" I said as the risks became more clear. I have to see Eros. I have to make sure his okay.

"You could die dude" he said.

" Thanks for the concern, dude, but if you're going to rain on my parade you can leave. Thanks for getting me this far."

" If you were planning on doing all this alone, why did you even want me here?" he asked as his face became riddled with confusion.

" In case things went wrong, I thought you could stop the spell" I said as my voice got high pitched. I realized how dumb my plan sounded but I was willing to do anything to get to Eros.

"Well , then I guess I'm staying." he said hesitantly. "At the first sign of trouble I'm ending the spell. I will not be the kid who got the prince killed"

"Sounds fair" I said plainly. I took out the spell and went over the words, practicing my pronunciation. It didn't really have an effect on the spell but I needed everything down to the atom in my favour.

Taking a deep breath I began the chant. Bright purple flames rose from my hands and began to climb up my arms. Then with a sudden burst of energy, they blew forward directly at the wards. My chanting grew more intense and I could feel my life force beginning to drain. My whole body became engulfed in flames and I waved Reese to take a step back so I could give it my all.

After he'd backed away I brought all my energy from the gut of my stomach to my fingertips. The wards began to crackle a little but didn't seem to be taking any damage. I knew this was bad and I heard Reese's screams for me to stop but I didn't tell him that once the spell had started it couldn't be stopped. It was part of a fail safe my parents had applied in case the wards were ever broken.

I felt my eyes burning and blood began to drip down my face. My mouth had filled up as well and all I could taste was iron. My emotions began to reel and I felt myself drowning in this battle for freedom.

It was like I could hear every cell on my body screaming in pain. Blood began leaking out my ears and eyes.

Then I closed my eyes and thought about why I was doing this. Eros.

All of our memories came flooding to the forefront of my mind and I felt a burn begin in my chest.

I felt my body almost refill with strength and then I gave it one final push. Eros being my only thought.

And then like the universe began with a big bang so too did that spell end. A flash of bright light than nothing.