Chapter 20

*Eros *

I've been going back and forth between realms since I found out about my Lycanthropy lineage. I didn't know if I was adopted or if one of my parents were a Lycanth like me. There have been so many times I wanted to ask Aunt Sylvie but I couldn't risk it. If she knew about it before and kept it a secret I'm sure I'd be able to understand her reasoning, but if she hadn't a clue that would just become another burden for her to bare and I couldn't do that to her.

I wanted to test Paris but the only way I thought that would work was if I brought her to the Lycanth realm and watched to see if the tree with the carvings would glow. But I hadn't the slightest clue how I would achieve any of this.

I decided to go to a diner I'd always passed on my way home from school. Sitting in a booth near the window I sipped on my milkshake as I stared outside, my thoughts swirling through my head like a tornado, despite my attempts to restore some order. So much has happened over the course of the last 2 weeks and I didn't know how I was feeling about it all. I just knew that I didn't feel as heavy as I usually did and that gave me so much hope.

A boy suddenly plopped down opposite me in my booth ripping me from my thoughts. I just looked up at him suprised as I tried to make out who he was.

"I take it by that look you don't recall who I am?" he asked with a smirk.

I simply nodded hoping he wasn't someone important.

"I don't blame you." he said with a chuckle. I just looked at him offering an awkward smile as I waited for him to remind me.

"Well, we only share like majority of our classes. You were friends with Rebecca and Cole, well at least until you weren't anymore. Why is that?" he asked with a casual tone.

"Oh, yeah we were friends but something happened a while back." I said trying to hint that I didn't want to talk about it.

"So why are you here all by yourself?" he asked quizzically.

This dude really seemed forward but it was a distraction from my internal chaos so I welcomed it

"Just thinking. Like thinking to myself" I said hoping he wouldn't ask about what.

"Cool, mind if I join you?" he asked innocently.

"Yeah, I guess since you're already seated you could..."

"Great" he answered simply, interrupting me without a slightest thought.

" So, my names Kai, just in case you were wondering and I think you're cool. Or at least you seem cool from the back of the class. I've always wanted to come up to you and ask you about your deal but never quite got to it. Peculiar isn't it?" he said all in the same breath.

"I'm Eros, but I assume you knew. I think I'm alright though I doubt anyone would agree with that. And yes, indeed I do find it peculiar that you decided to ask me about 'my deal, in a random café rather then in one of the classes we shared. But who said peculiar is necessarily bad?" I said trying to seem friendly.

He let out a pleasant smile. " And what of that dude you flirted with subtly that wasn't quite as subtle?" he asked and my cheeks immediately turned a bright red. Wow. This dude really didn't have a filter.

"It didn't work out" I replied feeling a familiar pang in my chest. "What about you. Have any interests?" I asked in an attempt to change the topic of conversation.

"As in romantic?" he asked to which I just nodded. " Well there is this girl who I've really liked since last year but haven't had the guts to speak up." he said as a pained looked took over his eyes.

I didn't know what to say to comfort him so I just took a sip of my milkshake before offering him some as well. He took a small sip before responding with a soft smile.

"So what is your deal? Why do you avoid people so much?" he asked.

I took a while to think up a response trying to come up with a believable cover but when I opened my mouth to speak, the truth just kind of poured out.

"It's just easier when I don't have to constantly stress about how my actions or feelings might impact someone else and I can't stand the feeling of someone looking at me and judging me and being fake with me." I said as I let go of some anger I'd been holding onto. I didn't know why I was angry or who it was directed at but I know that I felt it, just sitting at the bottom of my stomach almost as though it was waiting to be acted on.

"Cool. I get that" he replied with an understanding tone.

"What's your deal Kai?" I asked with a smirk of my own.

"Well, I don't really know. I try to make friends with people but I guess not everyone can handle me. I tend to have different personalities at times. Though I'm mostly just a tad bit hyper. I tend to either over do things or come off as too forward." he said looking out through the window.

"Well I think you're just misunderstood is all." I said trying to comfort him. He flashed a small smile as he drank the remainder of the milkshake.

I just remembered feeling a warmth inside me I hadn't felt in a long while. I think that Kai and I are going to be good friends. He seemed really genuine and incapable of being judgemental.

I hated myself a little when the thought of introducing him to Ajax ran through my head. I just wished I had some answers as to what the hell went wrong. Either way I had to face the reality that it was over. Whatever we had, whatever we shared was now in the past.

____________________________________

Hey readers. So I've changed the cover yet again, I hope you guys like it. It was inspired by an amazing book I've been reading.

Well the story has taken a different path from what I originally planned but I'm super excited for what I have planned.

If you enjoyed this chapter drop a vote and if you have any suggestions feel free to comment.