Chapter 5

Pic of Noah

Carter:

Dad was on the couch asleep when I entered the house. I ran upstairs and looked at the cut on the side of my head. It was caused from my co-worker Hunter.

"So babe, did you think about my offer?" Hunter came towards me asking.

"I don't wanna be with you Hunter, and I would appreciate it if you didn't call me babe," I told him calmly.

This guy was getting on my nerves and it was getting really annoying. He always tried to be with me at least for the last 5 months, sometimes I thought about quitting because of him. I felt him grab my wrist, I tried to struggle out of it but his grasp was too strong. I felt everyone was stronger than I was.

"I am not taking that as an answer," he grinned.

He brought his hand up to my jawline tracing it slowly. I flinched underneath his touch.

"P-please just let me do my job," I whined.

He laughed harshly. and smashed his lips onto mine. I tried to yell but he didn't let me. He pushed me against the counter. I pushed him off of me but didn't get far before ha smashed my head on the edge of the counter. I could feel blood on my head but I didn't care, I got out of the supermarket as fast as I could. It was 9pm and it was a long walk home. I went to my only two contacts. Why would he come and help you, your worthless he's just your friend cause he pities you! I ignored the never-leaving voices and pressed call. I needed help, badly.

-------

I woke up with a pounding headache. What's new? I went to the bathroom and hopped in the cold shower. Usually a warm shower felt like heaven, whatever that actually felt like, but all I wanted was a cold shower. I needed to wake up, last night my brain didn't want to give me a break and it thought, hey why don't we just keep you awake, yeah that's a great idea!

I groaned at the thought of having to go to school. Then I thought about the only thing that made me feel happy at school, Ezra. A smile formed on my face, of course it had to come to an end. Like every good thing in my life.

"Twat, down here, now!" His voice boomed through the house.

I grabbed my backpack and walked downstairs, this time I didn't miss the green bottle. It smashed into my face, probably leaving a few cuts. I winced at the pain but didn't think much of it.

"I need more beer!" How much had he drank.

I left the house without another word. I pulled my hood over my head and began walking to school. I know Ezra always commented on the hoodie but how else was I supposed to cover the bruises? Besides half the time I felt cold.

When I entered the doors before Flynn even came to me I just handed him my book without a word.

"What's this for!?"

"I'm not doing your homework anymore, just copy the answers and stop being so fucking lazy," it was about time I stood up to him. Maybe today wasn't the day though. He slapped my face then punched me until I collapsed onto the ground. I swear something broke. He stomped on my wrist causing me to let out a whimper. He started kicking at my stomach and he wouldn't stop. I tried to huddle into a ball but that didn't do any better.

He ignored my cries and pleads for him to stop. He kicked my gut until I thought he would kick a hole into it. The tears continued streaming as he yelled insults.

"You are so ugly and fat, I can barely even look at you. Such a waste of my time, you cannot do anything right. Piece of shit."

He wasn't wrong. This was all my fault. I am the who never did anything right. I made things so much worse than they had to be. I made him mad constantly. The kicks finally stopped and I heard him gasp.

"Carter, babe, I am so sorry...I didn't mean any of that...I-"

"It's fine, no I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you mad," I sat up slowly cringing from the pain.

"I was just so stressed from work...I don't know what came over me. It won't happen again."

I had heard that phrase too many times this week, I was kind of getting sick of it. But I didn't say anything, I nodded accepting his apology as he wrapped his arms around me. What happened to the old Ty? The one that I loved with all my heart. The one that I truly believed was made for me. Where has he gone?

Despite what he had done to me, I leaned into his touch. I craved so desperately to be loved and wanted I didn't care what happened. I just wanted affection. Ty wasn't perfect and I was no where near perfect but I knew one thing for sure. We were. I knew we were perfect for each other. He loved me, he is the only person who has ever loved me. He was just stressed, a-and needed someone to take it out on. That's all. I made it worse by not being the caring boyfriend and instead I yelled at him.

"Wanna go to bed?" He asked.

I smiled lightly before nodding. He carried me bridal style to our bedroom and pulled the covers over me. This showed he cared. This showed how much he loved me and that I wasn't just some worthless shit to him. It didn't matter how much he hurt me right? It was love, this was love.

Right?

-------

My eyes flung opened that's when I realised I was being shook and not kicked. Ezra's face came into vision, he looked panicked but then relieved. Relieved that I was ok.

"You had me worried Carter," he exhaled heavily.

"Sorry, I passed out," I said, pointing out the obvious. What else was I to say?

He nodded accepting my apology and then helped me sit up. I saw Flynn's book to my side and sighed. I knew I shouldn't have done that, but I did. Goddamnit! I screw everything up! Why can't I do something right!?

I felt something on the small of my back and that's when I realised Ezra was rubbing it. It kind of hurt due to the backpain my father, Flynn and many others caused, but at the same time it felt soothing and nice.

"Thank you," I whispered.

I didn't deserve Ezra. I didn't deserve the kindness he showed towards me. Why he chose a fuck-up like me to be friends with was a mystery. If I were him I wouldn't have chosen me. I would have chosen someone better. Someone who didn't mess up everything. Someone who could make others happy. I however can do none of it.

"I've told you this before Carter, and I will tell you a million times more: I am here for you, I want to help you through everything. There's things your not telling me and I understand it's your own business but I want you to know. I'm here, and I am not going to give up on you and abandon you."

How could he say all those things. He hardly knew me and all I have been towards him was stubborn and dismissive.

"But you hardly know me!" I wanted to yell but it came out like an exaggerated whisper.

"I know," he admitted. "That's why I'm here, I want to get to know you."

I stood up and shoved Flynn's book in my bag before following Ezra to first period. I knew he wanted to help. And it made me feel guilty for making it so hard for him. But there are so many things he can't know and that I won't allow him to know. No matter how much pain I went through. However many pills. He couldn't know, he just couldn't. Not only that, but he wouldn't understand. Any of it for that matter.

"Since it's Friday can you hang out?" He tapped my shoulder to get my attention.

My boss gave me today off, I don't exactly know why, but I was thankful he did. I nodded.

"Sure," I said.