Chapter 25

Ezra:

Meeting Carter's dad was honestly awesome, he was really nice and had changed a lot from our last... encounter.

Dean also seemed really cool. He seemed nice. I had hoped though that since he is living with Carter he would pick up on his eating habits and maybe convince the boy to do something about them. I can barely do that but since Dean is basically with him all the time maybe he might have a different affect of getting him to do something. I have tried to subtly do it but it's pretty pointless, he is stubborn as fuck sometimes.

------------------

I was going to be late to school so I quickly stuffed some books into my bag, hoping they were the right ones and then I got going, running out the door to my car.
I arrived at school and then I saw Dean standing next to Carter at his locker. What is he doing here?

"Hey, Dean?"

"He is transferring because some stuff happened at his other school." Carter explained .

I nodded and pretended to understand but I was still baffled, this was so sudden.

Dean smiled and waved at me, I waved back, they seemed to be getting along well. Hope not too well. Get your head straight Ezra! They're step brothers, well not yet but whatever!

"You want to meet the gang," I offered.

He nodded and I began walking towards the courtyard where supposedly the others would be at. Doing what, I don't know. Probably finding the answers for last minute homework they forgot to do or some shit like that.

They looked at us and Ruby gave me a confused look.

"Hey guys, this is Dean. Carter's..." I didn't really know what to call him.

"Stepbrother," Dean finished my sentence. Stepbrother!?

I gave a confused glance to Carter and he smiled at me.

"My dad proposed!" He beamed.

"What!? That's so great Cart! Congratulations!" I said.

That was honestly great.

"Thank you!" He smiled and kissed me on the lips. I wanted to kiss for longer but we both pulled away when we heard the voice of a teacher booming through the courtyard.

He giggled and then smiled at me. He was happy, I mean he had always seemed relatively happy but never like fully happy, he always had some sort of off vibe to him. Now he was happy. Things were good.

----------------

"When is the wedding?" Brodie asked.

Carter and Dean both shrugged. They weren't giving many details about the whole thing but it isn't really their fault. Carter had said that both their parents were keeping it quite low key and don't really have anything actually prepared except that they want a wedding. Carter had assured me that I would be invited to the wedding which I was thrilled about.

"How is Martin?" Carter turned to Dean.

"Oh- He is pretty good, he said to tell you that it's good things are finally looking up for you," Dean said.

Huh? What does that mean? Silence spread across our table. Finally looking up? Was there something that Carter wasn't telling me or something?

"Can we talk?" I asked Carter, not making it discrete in any way.

He nodded as if he already knew he was going to have to spill something to me. We got up and walked out of the cafeteria. He fiddled with his sleeves. I still don't understand why the fuck he wore long sleeves so often but I didn't really have time to fixate on his weird habits right now. Right now, I had something else on my mind.

"Care to explain?" It sounded sarcastic, in a way it was meaningful and sarcastic. I don't know.

"Ok. So basically my relationship with my wasn't great. We used to fight all the time and Martin was kind of the only person who knew about it so yeah. I know I am not great at telling you things, it's just something I would rather forget. Our relationship was pretty shitty and fucked up." He scratched at his head.

"Ok. Thank you for telling me, I didn't mean to force you but as your boyfriend I want to know these things Cart. I want to help you get through nay tough things." I took his hands in mine and that's when I saw blood.

That is when I had realised he had scratched until his scalp had bled. Another bad habit that he had. I gave a look of concern that he quickly blew off with a shrug. Did I make him too nervous?

We headed back in to see the others and the rest of lunch went quite smoothly with some small talk here and there. Dean fit in very well with the group. They seemed to approve of him just as much they did Carter, maybe even more. They were going to be step-brothers. It seemed so weird to me. I guess I have never had to deal with any family things like this.

My family have always been very close and not many things got between us. Things have actually practically always been great with the three of us. They're not absent, more me actually but we at least bond. Now that Carter's relationship with his father seemed better maybe that means they'll form a firm, strong bond. Maybe...

"Want to come over this afternoon and watch some movies?" I questioned once we had begun walking to the last period of the day. Maths. He smiled and slightly nodded.

"Yeah, that sounds great!" His enthusiasm was back, and I intended it to stay there. I mean what else could possibly stop him from being excited and happy?