Chapter 29

Carter:

Graduation was three weeks away and then soon we would be off to college. I was excited for this new chapter of my life but also terrified.

I sat with Ezra and he was playing with my hair whilst I tried to think about all the things we would do at college. I was stoked to be going to college, it sounded like a dream come true. I mean I always wanted to and I knew my grades would allow me to get into a decent college but I didn't know how things would go down with my dad. Now I do though. I am doing a writing course at college that should go to at least 4 years and Ezra's business course should go the same amount of time. It will all work out perfectly! Especially since Ezra and I won't have to deal with the whole long distance relationship shit. Though I believe we would be able to make it work.

"Are you excited for college?" I asked.

He laughed at me whilst still playing with my hair, I don't know how he did, there wasn't really much and it was straight, but I guess I had let it grow out a tad bit.

"You have asked me this every time we talk about college, and every time it's the same answer." He concludes.

It was true though. I ask him this all the time and we do talk about college quite frequently. It's the only thing that is on my mind these days. I am so excited I just want to talk about it all the time.

"So prom is soon," he prompted.

"I'm listening," I giggled.

"Will you go to prom with me Carter?"

"Of course I will!"

I heard a "boo" come from a few metres away.

"You guys are no fun! No promposal or shit Ezra!? What happened to your romantic side?" Ruby huffed.

Ezra looked at her offended.

"So sorry that I didn't give my boyfriend a promposal like Mr dazzle and shine did," humour laced his voice.

We all looked at Dean, who was now as red as a tomato. He had asked Ruby to prom with a whole musical number in the hallway. It was truly romantic. I wasn't bothered with Ezra's way of asking me though. I wasn't a big fusser when it came to most things. Besides Ezra put effort in too many things.

Back to Dean and Ruby, they weren't in a relationship but they both liked each other.

"I don't wanna jump into a whole new relationship just yet, nor do I wanna put a label on it," Dean had said one night when we were watching movies.

I think they would be together by the time we went to college, and I also believe they would be able to make the whole long distance relationship work as well. Of course I want to believe everyone would but some people can't. I think we are all quite mature and can.

Everyone else in the group didn't really like anyone. Noah and Brodie stated that dating was overrated and Martin said he just wasn't interested or some shit like that. I was quietly betting that Martin was bi (did I already say something like this in the story? Can't remember but if I did, whatever.) I also shipped him a little too much with one of his mates Sean. I had met Sean like twice but they had a whole weird ass flirting thing going on.

Sean I think is going to a college somewhere in New York for performing arts or something. We were all going to college and we were all stoked. Ezra was slightly disappointed that he was going to be far away from Ruby, Brodie and Noah but we had all decided we'll see each other a lot. What Ezra was excited for was that we were staying in the same dorm. I was surprised as fuck that I was staying in the same dorm because for first-years the dorm roommates were chosen randomly. Dean and Martin however both had different roommates, who's names I forgot.

"Anyway Noah, Brodie what are you goofs doing for Prom?" Ruby looked at Noah and Brodie who both had stupid looks on their faces.

"We're just going?" Brodie shrugged.

Noah nodded subtly and we all just laughed. They weren't really big on prom, and if you asked me about 6 months ago, I would have been the same. But then a special someone saved me.

Ezra is the best person I could have ever asked for. I smiled up at him, and he smirked down at me. I couldn't get over his smirks, they sent butterflies to my stomach. They made my heart feel heavier and my chest ache.

"Anyway, we should get going guys," Ezra spoke up.

Last period of the day was a free one for Ezra and I so we were going to just go and get some food. Wasn't too keen on it but I was keen on trying to work on myself. For Ezra. For everyone who cares about me.

"Bye guys," I waved as Ezra piggy-backed me out the gate.

I had my arms around his neck and he tilted his chin down to kiss my hand. I giggled and kissed the back of his head, taking in the smell of his hair. His hair always smelt the same, which was a good thing, his shampoo was electrifying. It also made me wonder how often he washed his hair. Probably too much, did I care though? No. No I did not. All these little things had me going insane.

"You really are perfect to me," he whispered.

I nuzzled my head in his neck.

"And you are my perfect," I answered.

I felt a little nervous for going and eating somewhere but I was ready. I didn't want a big meal though, only small. I had definitely gained a bit of weight which I wasn't exactly proud of. Half of me wanted to say, fuck it and let me just deteriorate but the other part wanted me to be better. Though I hated the idea of being fat. So many people used to call me fat all the time. Flynn still very occasionally mumbles it in the hallways but with Ezra by my side, no one has touched me. I don't know it it's our of fear or something but it works.

-------------------------

I began picking at my pasta. I circled the penne pieces around the plate. I could see Ezra watching me out of the corner of my eyes. I sighed and looked at the pasta again. I had eaten about 5 pieces and already feeling full.

"Eat five more and you're done." Ezra smiled.

I looked up and gave a thankful smile.

I stabbed the pieces one by one all the way to five and then placed my fork back down.

"I'm sorry," I apologised.

I knew I didn't have to but I hated making people feel disappointed or some shit like that.

"Don't be sorry Carter, you do not have to be sorry. I'm sorry we all keep pushing you to eat," he laughed.

"It's for my own good, right?"

"Right."