Chapter 13

Ezra:

I don't know why Carter dismissed me earlier on the phone, but I had a strong feeling it wasn't because of me. SO that is why I am at his house. The only car that was ever parked at his house didn't seem to be there. Which meant his dad wouldn't be there.

I still didn't understand the whole guest thing but I guess it wasn't any of my business. I got out of my car and began climbing the tree that led to his bedroom. It was after 10, so he had to be home by now.

When I got up there I saw him sitting at his small desk on his computer. I tapped him on the shoulder and heard him gasp frightenedly. Yeah... maybe I should have warned him of me coming before just climbing through his window. Or maybe he should just stop leaving his window open...hmmm. Whatever.

"You need to stop scaring the shit outta me!" He cried from on the floor.

I sent him an apologetic look and he rolled his eyes at me. I deserved that.

"I just wanted to make sure you were ok from earlier this morning," I explained my presence of being here to him.

"Ummm...y-yeah, it's all good. Don't worry about it," he scratched at his neck.

"Well that's the thing Carter. I was worried and if you wouldn't mind telling me what happened. that would be great."

I saw tears brimming to his eyes. Shit, I forgot he was sort of sensitive. I definitely over stepped there. I went to hold him and he leaned into my touch sniffling.

"Sorry Carter. that came out much more harsh than I meant to. I just wanted you to tell me because I had the feeling that you wouldn't tell me so-"

"I-it's fine. M-martin came to the supermarket today," I thought about the name for a minute.

Did he mean that fucker that left him. Suddenly the sympathy in my eyes was overtaken by pure hatred. If he set a single finger on Carter I would have killed him!

"Did he do anything to you, no, an even better question: why the fuck is he here!?" I yelled.

I was more yelling for myself and at myself then Carter.

"N-no. He just wanted to talk. He explained why he left and was so shitty. Of course, I haven't forgiven him, but I am going to give him a chance or something like that. Not yet, he doesn't get to just crawl his way back in, but I don't know." Carter exhaled.

"Ok. If he hurts you. Please tell me Carter," I whispered calmly, which was the opposite of what I was like just a few minutes ago.

He nodded his head and then retracted from my warm embrace.

"Thanks for checking in and all, but I think you should go. I don't know when my dad will be home," he said, gaining his confidence.

I slid out his window, saluting him on my way out. He laughed and waved as I made my way down the tree.

When I turned on the car, I took one last look to his window and he wasn't there. I goes it was late so he was either going to study or read, or go to bed. The first one seemed more likely though. You can take the worm from the book, but you can't take the book from the worm. That was such a cheesy saying, I almost died from just thinking about it.

-------------

About 2 weeks have gone by since Carter told me about the Martin thing. He apparently had hung out with him a few times but no where near as much as me, then again even with me it was only a few times. Carter hadn't changed at all, I guess no one had. He was still getting bullied, and I stepped in whenever I could, he still had bruises all around him, well at least on his exposed skin, and I didn't believe for a second that there wasn't more he wouldn't let show. I don't exactly know where they come from. I do have a theory they come from his dad, but that is a very large accusation to make. I have no proof and even though his dad didn't seem all that nice that proves nothing. Some people just had strict parents.