Chapter 2 - I See Fire.. Or Just Prof Hampton

I panicked at the sound of the alarm. 7:36 am

Shit! I am going to be late and Professor Hampton will be more than welcome to trade my front seat for graduation ceremony with the last seat in the gym. I panicked as I grabbed whatever clothing I can, brushed my teeth and put my hair into a messy ponytail. I had blue polo shirt, plain black skinny jeans and black vans slip-on. I grabbed my back pack and ran straight to school.

Thank god I arrived just two minutes after eight and everyone is just starting to arrange themselves in the assigned seats. You see, my school’s been very strict when it comes to this kind of occasions. A little recall five years ago during graduation, when the university was not conducting graduation practice, the graduates from computer engineering pulled a prank that made Professor Hampton fall out of her composure.

All the males removed their pants and the ladies pulled out their breasts for everyone to see. Out of shock, Prof Hampton paled down and fainted and the board of trustees were so mad at that he threatened to shut down the college of computer engineering. So up to this day, Prof Hampton made sure no prank would be ever pulled as long as the university is alive.

Don’t get me wrong but there were still students that aspired to beat the legend that’s been told for five years. But Professor Hampton must have applied for sixth sense that she always caught everyone before the act.

I scrammed to my seat as I caught a glance to Lea who is reapplying her overly glittering lip gloss that beat the hell out of a disco ball. I smiled at her as she raised her brow to me. She was sitting four chairs away from me. I saw Sam, looking grumpy as always.

I relaxed myself as I threw my backpack below the chair and tried to sit still seeing the already angry Professor Hampton.

“If you want to have your chairs during graduation, stop talking to your seatmate!” Prof shouted through the megaphone.

I chuckled inside. This is it Alice! Six days to go and I’m out in this hell. I have my degree and dreams with me. I’ll be a successful writer and I’ll continue to learn to become a good photographer. My heart jumped a little as my cellphone began screaming my Animals by Martin Garix ringtone. The gym went silent as everyone knows that cellphone during practice is equivalent to unreasonable punishment from Professor Hampton.

I looked around as everyone stared at me while Lea showed a smirk. I smiled a little, grab my phone and saw that Lea was calling. That bitch! She knows I hardly put my phone on silent since no one calls me anyway. So much for that ‘so-called friendship’.

“I guess that was important Ms. Grent?” I looked up and I swear I saw Hades. Professor Hampton was looking like a tomato and death toll and her veins are popping out like fireworks on New Year’s.

“I am sorry Professor. I must’ve forgotten to turn it off. It was stupid of me.” I tried to look as cute as possible hoping for a human heart in a monster’s body.

“Give me that phone.” She handed out her hand.

“But it was indeed important. It was-“ she cut me off.

“Cellphone Ms. Grent!!!” And there goes the fire in her eyes.

                I surrendered my phone hoping that she’ll give it back. I looked back at Lea but that bitch is giving me a smirk. How could she do this? Thoughts raced through my head. She is my friend, or she was anyway. Who the hell puts a friend in humiliation and danger and would have the guts to smirk at you? I looked at Sam for rescue but she was still looking grumpy as ever.

                As the dreadful practice went on, my mind was somewhere. I felt alone. Now that Lea would no longer be my friend and Sam looks like she’s gonna eat me alive for unknown reason, I no longer have anyone to talk to during lunch or anyone in this school for that matter.