Chapter 7 - Fresh Start

I grabbed my jacket as I head off downstairs. I feel giddy all of a sudden knowing that it’s my first day at Marine Park. Yeah it’s a boring job taking pictures for tourists but another part of my job is to capture pictures of people being in the moment and write about them.

As I drive to my destination, I was thinking of any possible theme I could apply. Mother and child enjoying the fish tanks? Group of friends enjoying the fish spa? And I suddenly regretted even thinking about a theme. Lovers walking through the bridge. Lovers. And I wish there was a piranha or something then they’d fall.

I parked near the entrance of the Marine Park and an old lady with white hair approached me.

“Darling you must be Alice?” Her voice felt like home. Her smile feels like a welcome celebration from your favorite grandmother.

I beamed a smile. “Yes I am Alice.” I place my hand in front of her reaching for hers.

“What a lovely lady with a lovely name. My name is Kishma and I am the owner of this Park.” Her words felt humbled.

“Thank you for having me. Uhhmmm, where should I start?” I asked politely.

“You’re welcome dear. I could really use a girl in this place.” She chuckeld. A girl? So I am the only girl?

“Well I only have two employees, you as the third. The cleaning of the water and the place is done by a machine so you don’t have to do any dirty work.” She winked.

“That’s Jed.” He pointed out to an old man wearing a Marine Park hat. “He feeds the fishes.”

She turned me around and pointed at another man. “That’s Lou. Well he’s the receptionist and the occasional tour guide. He likes it when you compliment him as pretty.” She nudged my shoulder.

All I could reply was an inaudible Oh.

She pointed me to my mini booth with a mini-desk inside. I sat quietly and looked at the pictures posted on the wall. It was the story of the Marine Park.

“You know as a kid I always wanted to be a Marine Biologist.” She appeared leaning at the mini window of the booth.

“What happened?”

“I met this boy and suddenly, being a Marine Biologist doesn’t matter anymore.” She smiled from the memory. A tear escaped the edge of her eyes.

“But fate must have played the cards. He was a marine. And he was killed just a week before our wedding. Just a week before he would say I do. Just a week before I can call myself Mrs. Scherby. And just a week after  peace was obtained and two countries called truce.” She looked down to the right with a big stone at her ring finger.

I don’t know how to respond and she must have understood.

“And I never loved a boy again. He was the first and the last. Instead of taking a degree for Marine Biology, I took up Business and saved so much to build this place. It meant so much. These creatures inside the aquarium became family.” She held her tears and got herself together.

She smiled at me again. “Alice, the park will be opened ten minutes from now and as I heard it right, Lou said there’s a whole new page of visitors. Go prepare yourself okay?” I smiled back and stared at my bag.

I pulled my hair into a neat ponytail, brushed some lipstick and smiled at the mirror. Fresh start Alice. This time, do it right.

I was about to move out my booth when I heard the collective noise of visitors entering the gates of the park. I was surprised how many cars are already parked and so I braced myself. Visitors are coming. This will be a long day.

***

I sat alone in the last table of the coffee shop. I played Leave out all the rest by Linkin park.

The song seemed to move me in my deep thoughts.

When the song was over, I looked up and saw a boy hovering over me.

“What the he-” he sat down as I was cut off mid-cussing. I pulled of my headphones.

“A simple hi would be enough.” Logan smiled.

“What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be at work or something?” I saw him raise his brow.

“Something.” He chuckled and I swear I heard angels singing.

I stared at him in disbelief. No one would believe me that Logan is sitting in front of me voluntarily.

“Well, I have some time off work and or or something.” He sipped my coffee.

“So why are you here then? You should be in the Caribbean!” I raised my voice a little.

“Ha! Are you pushing me away?” He giggled and looked at me.

“It’s just that I don’t see why you are here? Do you have errands and happen to see me?”

“About that, I was hoping you’re here today.” He smirked.

I just looked at him.

“I kinda wanna talk to you.”

“You know you sound weird right?” I chugged down my coffee avoiding the part where his lips were once.

“Yeah and I know you think I’m creepy.” He eyed me.

“Ha-ha! Now.. what do you want to talk about?”