Chapter 23 - The Bells

LOGAN

“I do.” I hear her say those two words. Those two simple words. She looked so perfect standing in front of me. Her eyes looked glossy and I gripped her hands tighter as I slip the ring just above the engagement ring. She blushed and smiled ear to ear.

She is officially mine. I can’t understand how fate linked us together. One day at a coffee shop changed my life. The heavens gave me a wonderful person who I can count on, whom I can be myself with, whom I find life miserable if without her.

“I love you, even after this life Alice.” I whispered enough for her to hear.

She looked up at me with her glossy eyes. Hey eyes of disbelief always question me of why I chose her. She thinks she’s so lucky to have me, but in all honesty it’s the other way around.

In Hollywood, seldom can you find people liking you or even giving interest in you without associating you to your work or established name. And Alice proved to me that there is always someone out there who would care to know you without your status, or name or fame, just you.

I kissed her feverishly like it’s our first time. As if on cue, the wind whispered her laughs as she broke of the kiss and everyone is cooing.

“Don’t get carried away dear husband. We have all eternity.” she cupped her hand on my face. I could never get tired of loving her.

“Eternity it is Mrs. Lerman.” She blushed at her new name.

I swell with pride and admiration knowing that this wonderful girl in front of me is my wife and I am his husband. Together, we’ll face the world with our hopes and dreams till eternity.

######## Seven years later ###########

“Daddy! It’s mommy’s birthday!” Shiloh dragged my shirt while I drank my coffee on the table. I looked at her with love on my eyes. She looks so much like Alice except for the eyes, she got mine. She waved the red sharpie at my face and marked the kitchen calendar with hearts all over.

“Alright, alright! Don’t get excited.” I laughed. “Let’s surprise her with…”

“With lots and lots of Daisies!” she exclaimed throwing her hand in the air.

****

“Happy birthday Mommy!” Shiloh placed the bouquet down beside the tombstone.

It’s been a year since my Alice passed away from cancer. It was a painful battle but she fought till the end. She knew she had to. But just before the clock strikes twelve on New Year ’s Eve…

“Logan, thank you for bringing me outside. I sure missed the fresh air.” she giggle like a baby. She looked at me with loving eyes.

“will you forgive me Logan?” I looked at her with confused look. “Forgive for what my love?”

“For not spending eternity with you. I am sorry I can’t stay longer. My will wants to but this body is giving up. I am sorry Logan if I can’t be with you and Shiloh a little longer. I am sorry my love. I know your heart will break for me, but know that I am always here anywhere you and Shiloh are.” She looked at me again this time smiling.

“I never regretted anything Logan. From the day you bumped at me at the coffee shop to the day you proposed up until the day Shiloh was born. If I could live again, I would still want the same, but of course, me not dying early and like this.” she managed a laugh.

“I love you Alice. It doesn’t matter if it’s not eternity. The time I spent with you is already enough to cover up for that eternity and I never regretted anything. In fact, my years with you were the best and I won’t change it for anything. But I won’t hold you back because I know you’re tired. Love, I promise you I will take care of Shiloh, the only reminder that ‘us’ happened. And I want you to know wherever you’ll be after this that you’re the only sunshine in my life. I love you Alice. I love you enough to let you go.” And I was crying. I fought with my tears but I just can’t. I know Alice is bidding farewell and I crushes my heart to let her go. But I have to. I dried my face with my hand suppressing the tears.

“Hun, I want you and Shiloh to be happy no matter what happens. I want you to move on with your life. Maybe date a girl or even marry one, I’m sure I won’t mind and I don’t want you to be alone. Make sure Shiloh dates a man who will take care of her just like you did to me.  But promise me you won’t forget about me my love. This heart may die but my love remains with you forever...” She squeezed my hand.

The cold air wrapped us and I can feel her shivered. I hugged her from the back and as if on cue, the fireworks lit up the sky and for a moment, I saw her eyes roared to life.

“Logan?” she called me caressing my hands. I averted my eyes to her. “Yes my love?”

“I love you. And I’ll look for you ‘till the next life. Never again will I leave sooner than I promised. I may not spend this life with you and Shiloh a little longer, but I promise you, I will look for you in another life. And I will love you the same.” She let a tear escaped. She crashed her pale lips into mine as the last light from the fireworks die down.

***

Shiloh walked to the car and I stayed a little longer feeling the wedding ring in my hand.

“Happy birthday my love! I miss you so much. See you in another life.” I breathed deeply as the church bells rang.

END

A/N:

I cried a little as I was writing this!! Anyway…

Thank you for all the support, votes and comments! I appreciate everything and now that Never Again has ended, I will try to write more stories! And I wish you guys would support my other stories as well.

Till next time.

XCX