Sleepy Spider

a/n: if you wanted oneshots that were both good-quality and long then you are reading in the wrong month,, no thoughts only the Spooktober drag /hj /lh

Spooktober 02: Screams

Exhaustion soaks through Peter's bones like it had been his own blood, effectively slowing him down. His third all-nighter finally started showing on his face, complete with the dark circles that make him look half-dead, pale skin that brings out the blue in his finer veins, and his eyes red-rimmed and burning with every second they stay open.

May's eyebrows rise when he stumbles out of his bedroom in the morning. "Wow. You look like America's Next Top Model. Did you sleep okay?"

Peter shook his head quietly, stuffing a mouthful of cereal in his mouth. "I stayed out late patrolling, I didn't really sleep."

"Peter," May scolds lightly. "You were supposed to come home at eleven. I thought Tony Stark put protocols on that suit to make sure you didn't do that."

"Uh..." Peter scratches his head and keeps his eyes down. "He did."

"...Peter. Tell me you didn't."

Peter looks up slowly. May was crossing her arms and giving him a look of sternness, and he sighs. "I'll put the guidelines back on! Just— Don't tell Mr. Stark. Please."

"You need to talk to him," May shakes her head. "He can help you more than I can with hero stuff, and you need to get some sleep, Peter. This is non-negotiable. When do you have your next little lab session with him?"

"Today," Peter mumbles.

"Perfect! You can talk to him then." May walks over and kisses his temple. "Have a good day at school. I'll see you for dinner."

"Love you," Peter says with a tired cheer, watching her walk to the door. "Be safe."

"I will. Love you too!"

The door clicks behind her. Peter looks down at his cereal, the energy draining from his face. With a groan, he pushes himself up and grabs his backpack from the floor. "Alright. Come on, Peter. You've got this."

School went by in a blitz, either a blessing or a curse. He slept through lunch, his free period, and let himself doze off in the final class because it was just science.

Ned was a huge help, guiding him along from class to class and poking him if he fell asleep. During lunch he made sure Peter ate something small before he passed out with his forehead pressed on the cold table.

Finally the bell rang and students poured out, and Peter was still sluggishly dragging along as he walked out the doors. Happy was discreetly parked in his usual spot in the back, so Peter says bye to Ned and starts his trek.

"What the hell happened to you?" Happy asks once Peter gets in the car. "You look like you got ran over by a train. Tell me you didn't get ran over by a train."

"I didn't get run over, Happy." Peter yawns. "Just tired. Mindnumbingly tired."

"Did you... sleep?" Happy looks at him through the rear view with concern.

"Yeah," Peter hugs his backpack and leans against the window, closing his eyes. "I slept during lunch and stuff. Can you turn the heater on?"

Happy doesn't say anything but reaches over and turns the heater on, not taking his eyes off Peter in the mirror. This wasn't the first time Peter had been so uncharacteristically mellow on the way to Tony's lab, but it certainly was a rare enough occurrence to cause concern when it did happen.