a family incident

a/n: thank u platypus for the splenderific prompt

Now, Tony Stark has a soft spot for his robots. This wasn't a secret. It was well-known even in the public's greedy eye, so when Peter finally finds his place beside Mr. Stark in the lab, he already knows every bot by name.

U is, if even possible to say, the one with more common sense out of the two bots. Tony had built it for the illusion of lab safety, documentation, that sort of thing. It stays out of trouble, following Tony around with a camera. So far a grand total of twelve viral videos have been a byproduct of this creation. (With Peter's recent employment, his goal is to make that number go up. Way up.)

Dum-E is... Well, it's charming. The oldest thing Tony's ever kept— (other than Rhodey, but Peter will not be the one to say that to his face)—because Tony "isn't a nostalgic man," in his own words. The bot is very sweet, very enthusiastic about helping out. It zips around the lab and lingers closely when the two of them are working, just in case someone calls out for something. It's sort of like a robotic puppy.

Peter wouldn't ever say this to U, but Dum-E might be his favourite for this reason. He just can't resist. Plus, Dum-E gave him a smoothie one time, and Tony said that was basically the robot's way of welcoming him to the family. Who wouldn't think that's the most adorable thing ever?

The bots are the closest thing Peter will ever have to R2-D2. He would die for them, objectively.

They're in the lab today working on some loose ends of some new gear, and as easily predicted, Dum-E is settling close to the table, buzzing in a low, happy hum as the two of them concentrate on their respective projects. U is off in the corner, powered down for a little catnap.

"Dum-E, hand me the wrench," Tony says casually, holding his hand out.

Peter watches with a delayed sort of horror as Dum-E's hydraulic arm swings around with excitement, chirping and beeping and— hitting Tony square in the cranium with a deafening thud.

"Motherfu—" Tony drops his screwdriver and brings his hand up to his forehead, and oh good lord there's blood everywhere.

Peter quickly stands up, dropping his equipment and yanking the goggles off his head with alarm. "Mr. Stark! Are you okay?"

Dum-E is beeping frantically now, rolling back and forth in a panic.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm—" Tony keeps his hand firmly pressed to his head, as blood drips down his hand. He stands up, looking pale, and stumbles for a rag.

Peter grimaces. "I think we should, uh, get you to a hospital. FRIDAY?"

"Yes, Peter. That would be wise," FRIDAY replies dryly. "Boss has sustained a concussion."

"No hospital." Tony waves Peter away. "I'm good. Just a scrape. I've survived a terrorist attack and like, the Cold War. I'll live."

"It isn't just a scrape!" Peter frowns and gets a clean rag from the cupboards, quickly hands the ratty thing to Tony. Tony presses it to his forehead.

Dum-E wheels to the other end of the lab, its hydraulic claw reaching out for something on the wall.

"If you even think about grabbing the fire extinguisher, I'll pick you apart and replace you with scrap metal," Tony scolds, turning around to it and holding out his pointer finger accusingly.

Dum-E halts and turns, then tilts its arm as if to say, 'why not, dad?' It doesn't wait for an answer and reaches for the fire extinguisher, because there's a grand total of one thing Dum-E can manage to do in emergency type situations.