A National Holiday

a/n: this was speed-written so my apologies for quality, but happy spider-man day!🕷🔬💙

"People see me and think they're safer... but it's not really me they're seeing. Probably for the best— knowing everything hinges on a guy from Queens sounds as scary as it feels. No pressure, right?"

When Peter walked into school today, he swore to god he thought he was having a stroke. Some guy walked past him in a homemade Spider-Man suit, threads dangling off from under his shirt.  One girl had her whole face painted. Someone else had a tutu. There was red and blue everywhere.

He looked around with a crazed smile and stumbled to his locker. He fidgeted with the lock, twisting it around, pulling it open—

Red and blue glitter poured out onto his sweater, covering his sleeve. His mouth fell open. "What the..."

"Ha!" Flash came up behind him, slinging an arm around his shoulders. "Good luck washing that out, Penis. Glitter never goes anywhere."

He was wearing a Spider-Man hoodie. Is Peter having a nightmare? If so, when will he wake up? Is he living in the twilight zone?

"Uh," Peter ducked away from Flash's hold, brushing the glitter off. "Yeah. Thanks a lot, man. Um— is there like, an assembly today or something?"

"No?" Flash scoffed. "Idiot, don't you check the calendar?"

"I just— Everyone's dressed up, so I," Peter gestured around questioningly.

"Yeah, duh," Flash crossed his arms. "It's Spider-Man day. It's all over the news. Should've expected you'd be lame and not get the memo."

He paused. "Spider-Man day?"

"Yeah?" Flash huffed. "Okay, are you gonna sit here the whole waiting period to ask me questions, or like, can you stop being clingy and let me leave now?"

"No, I'm done. Thanks," Peter said half-heartedly. He watched as Flash walked down the hall, mingling with the sea of other people decked out in Spidey merch.

He was going through a lull of some sorts, trying to process the words 'Spider-Man day' and the visuals of Flash unironically in a hoodie with what was essentially his face on it in the same environment, and he was having a hard time with it.

Ned finally tapped him on the shoulder, and Peter whipped around in relief. "Ned, thank god. This is so cr—"

Ned was wearing a Spider-Man mask. A cheap one, but still. He snickered. "Is it like looking in a mirror, or what?"

Peter cracked a smile. "It's something, alright."

"Dude, you didn't wear anything," Ned whispered. "This is literally the easiest spirit day you will ever have to attend, and you didn't wear anything?"

"I didn't know!" Peter exclaimed. He lifted his sleeve. "Flash glitter'd me."

Ned cringed away. "Don't get that near me, I'll never be able to wash it out and my Lola will be giving me the side eye for months."

Peter dropped his sleeve. He craned his neck around the hallway, then whispered over to Ned. "Think you can cover for me?"

"Uh, yeah, definitely. Where are you going? Secret Avengers mission?"