Boom, Boom, Crack

Spooktober 23: Freestyle

⚠️NWH spoilers, dark!peter, gore⚠️

a/n: I finally wrote it... the mercenary peter au

It starts here.

The base of the Statue of Liberty. The sun is gleaming over the water, the reflection of a blood-haze and his own suit has Peter seeing red. Rage is not a word to describe the seething hatred that causes him to shake, that causes his teeth to grit, that causes the steeliness of his glare. He is beyond rage. He is beyond everything. He is no longer human in this moment.

"Poor, Peter." The Green Goblin's voice is a saccharine poison, grinning glee as he spouts his venom. He tilts his head. "Too weak  to send me home to die."

Peter's gaze flickers.

"No," he rasps, his voice hoarse. He swallows. His world darkens. It turns. He says, "I just want to kill you myself."

Green Goblin's eyes dazzle brilliantly with his insanity. "Attaboy."

It starts here.

Blood dripping from his ice-cold blood-hot hands, his muscles trembling as he hits Goblin again, and again, and again. He does not know how many punches he's thrown. All he knows is that the Goblin is laughing at him, taunting him to continue, and the smile won't slip from his face no matter how hard Peter strikes—

He's had enough, his head is rushing so fast it makes him dizzy. His feet are heavy as he steps back, his eyes wildly searching the space for something he knows Goblin has dropped. He finds it, takes it into his hands— the glider, a sickly metallic green, all jagged edges and sharper than a knife.

He has never felt like this before.

He knows distantly he's on the precipice of something unseemly, a ledge he will fall from, impossible to pick himself back up. He also thinks distantly, there is nothing now keeping him from wanting to. That it isn't his fault. That justice must be served, it is his job, it is his mission... his responsibility.

The blades of the glider gleams with the rising sun as he lifts it over his head, his jaw clenched in a tight line and his eyes razor-focused on the gasping, spitting, grinning Goblin strewn out before him.

Within a blink, there is someone else between them. Himself. A different face. Something unexplainable written in his eyes.

Peter pauses.

It starts here.

Peter's fingers twitch around the glider. He lets out a charged breath.

"...Get out of my way," he says, his voice scraping against his teeth.

The much older Peter, the wiser one, slowly shakes his head. He looks too understanding for Peter's liking. "You know I can't do that."

"Get out of my way," Peter repeats. His glare eclipses, all hope leaving his eyes. "Or I'll kill you too."

Behind him, Goblin drags himself upright, a puppet on strings, the blood-hungry smile stretched unnaturally across his slender face. "She was there because of you!"

Peter looks above the older Spider-Man's shoulder, narrowing his eyes.

"I may have struck the blow, but—" the Goblin bursts into maniacal giggles, forced out from his chest in a wheezy breath. "You— You are the one that killed her!"

The Goblin shatters the air with his cackles, his head not moving as he stares directly at Peter. His chest heaving up and down, shoulders shaking violently as he laughs, and laughs, and laughs.