The Usual Parental Parasite

Spooktober 06: Alien

a/n: the only reason this is not an infinity war oneshot is because my little sister looked me directly in the eyes and said "gracie just let your readers be happy for once" so here we are. you may send your thanks to her that this is not an infinity war oneshot

Ok, so Tony had come to the conclusion that possibly, there was some kind of creature living in his chest.

(Fondly, he could almost hear the kid chime in; "It's just like that really old movie!")

The problem was as simple as this: there were a multitude of feelings that he had begun to have the past few weeks. Very paternal kind of feelings. Very, 'holding your newborn baby for the first time and panicking' kind of feelings.

The first time it happened, he hadn't thought much of it. The teen came over as per usual routine, and for some god-unknown reason, decided to take refuge in the kitchen. Tony was watching with amusement as he was pulling stuff out of the pantry with reckless abandon.

After the eighth cabinet was flung open and subsequently left open, Tony finally opened his mouth.

"So, kid," Tony cleared his throat. "Mind telling me why you're doing a surprise house inspection on me?"

"Science project," Peter answered. He sighed with disappointment and then shut the cabinet he was currently looking in, then looked at Tony with a scrunched up nose that was very accusatory. "How do you have such a massive cabinet and no food?"

"Pepper's out of town. I can't cook. Trust me; it's a better arrangement for both of us. What's your 'experiment' on? How many bottles of vodka known genius Tony Stark keeps stashed in his house?"

"No," Peter blew a breath out from his cheeks and sat up on the counter glumly. "That wouldn't even be a good experiment. You quit drinking a year ago."

Tony hummed.

"Anyways," Peter began to drum his fingers on the counter— a nervous tick that he usually had before he was gonna ask something. (Tony's favourite conversations, because Peter was basically giving his permission to be spoiled.) "You're gonna think it's dumb."

"Hit me with it anyways."

"I have to make one of those baking soda volcanoes," Peter said dully. He leaned forward and planted his face firmly into the counter. "Yes, I'm in AP Chemistry. It's a really long story."

Tony couldn't help it. A smile began to work at the corner of his mouth. He purposely upped his voice into sounding incredibly impressed. "A baking soda volcano, huh?"

"May doesn't have any more baking soda," Peter explained. His expression darkened dramatically. "And Ned's Lola won't let him make a baking soda volcano after what happened the last time."

Tony barked a laugh. He smothered it with his hand at Peter's glare, and he nodded seriously. "Alright. So, grocery store trip, then?"

...And then Peter came over the next week with his perfectly graded assignment. He made a joke about Tony putting it on his fridge, and he laughed, and then Tony laughed, and then when they finished laughing, Tony stuck it on there with an Iron Man magnet.

The alien feeling in his chest strengthened tenfold after that.

The second time it happened, Tony had gone to bed restless.

He spent his afternoon, stitching up various scratches that had apparently been sitting on the suit for the past few days, while Peter sat across from him with the guiltiest expression in the world whilst he explained why he hadn't told him sooner.