the phone! (the phone is ringing)

a/n: god forbid I spend 3 months working on a novel length marvel fic and suddenly lose the ability to write a short story,;;; anyways um I wrote this to get back into the swing of things! haha. swing

1. date night with pep

"I'll have your pesce spada alla ghiotta," Pepper closed her menu. "Thank you so much."

"This place obviously has the best..." Tony glanced down at the menu for what could have been the eight millionth time. He finally shrugged and put it to the side. "I dunno. It's Sicilian, it's all great. I'll have the special."

The waitress nodded, jotting down the order. She smiled politely at them. "Wine?"

"No," Pepper spoke up. "Just the water is fine."

The waitress left to the kitchen, and Tony continued to respectfully stare at Pepper in her angelic beauty. Ringlets of strawberry blonde hair tucked into a careful bun, and then a blue dress to compliment her eyes. Peace, quiet, and a lovely fiancée who was far too patient with him.

"When you said you wanted to spend time together," Pepper said, a practiced murmur of discreteness and class. "We could have done it at home. We didn't need to take a jet to Italy."

"What, you don't like it?" Tony sat back in his chair. "I think it's great. I thought you loved Italy!"

"I have a company to run, Tony. We have a company to run." Pepper paused, and she sighed softly. "It seems like whenever we spontaneously travel the world, it feels like you're trying to run from something. Should I be worried?"

"I'm not trying to run," Tony said earnestly. "I just thought we both deserved a small vacation. You especially. You know, you always talk about me overworking myself, but you do the same thing sometimes, Pep. When was the last time you had a genuine break?"

Pepper looked at him and opened her mouth. She closed it. Furrowing her eyebrows; because Pep knew that she was good at arguing Tony's points and for once she didn't have a comeback.

He's learning. It's taken him a few years, but he's learning.

"It's just one night," Tony promised. "One night, where we've got no distractions. Just you and—"

Tony's phone buzzed with a text message. Pepper narrowed her eyes teasingly.

"I can ignore that," Tony said pointedly, raising his eyebrows. "It's probably nothing."

It buzzed again.

"Seriously, not a problem for me. I ignore text messages anyways. Just ask that one CEO."

It buzzed a THIRD time, and then started ringing, a rock cover of the Itsy Bitsy Spider song started playing from Tony's pocket. People in the restaurant turn to look at their table with confusion and annoyance.

Pepper folded her arms. The corner of her mouth quirked up with hidden amusement. "That's the kid, isn't it?"

Tony scratched the back of his head. Italy is six hours ahead of New York—Which means, while they were eating a late dinner in a very expensive restaurant, Peter just got out of school. He could be on patrol, or he could be doing god knows what, but Tony won't know unless he picks up.

"He could be in trouble," Pepper said knowingly. She knew him far too well. "You should answer it."

Tony huffed in defeat and pulled his phone out of his pocket. He answered it quickly and put the phone up to his ear.