Stressful Situations

a/n: big thanks to a pal of mine for this wonderful idea :)

Spooktober 13: Stress

"Boss. Peter is calling," F.R.I.D.A.Y. speaks up.

"You know the drill. Put the kid through." Tony fiddles with a wrench in the engine of a rundown car he purchased the other day.

There's a confirming beep before Peter's quick and strained breathing floods through the room. "Mr. Stark, I need help, quick."

Instant alarm bells ring in his brain. Peter rarely called for help, unless he was dying or someone else was dying. Judging by the kid's breathing, and the way his voice is strung tight— he doesn't have much hope for it being the second one.

Tony drops the wrench on the table, not bothering to wipe the grease from his hands as he motions for his Iron Man suit. "Okay, breathe. What's going on?"

"I can't," he grits out. "Building collapse. There are five people here, three kids, and—Quit moving! Don't try and touch anything!— Mr. Stark, I could really use your help, like, yesterday."

Tony steps into the suit. "I'm on my way. Stay calm. Keep talking to me."

"Yeah— I'm calm, I'm really— I said stop touching things! Oh god." Peter gasps for air. His voice drops to a pained whisper. "Please hurry."

The garage opens and Tony charges out of it. The suit brings up Peter's location without him having to even ask, as well as Peter's vitals. The heart rate was shot up, adrenaline must be a pretty big reason why Peter was still holding a building up.

As for the location— It was on the other side of the island. Tony curses and kicks the speed up to maximum, tearing through the air like a bullet. It should take him three minutes at least, which seemed like an endless amount of time when he imagined Peter's arms shaking as he held up the weight of an entire BUILDING off himself and five other people.

It only took him being one second late to lose everything.

"Tell me what it looks like," Tony said, commanding his voice to be firm when it wanted to shake. "Is there any way that the people can escape?"

"No, we're pressed into the cement. There's not a lot of room," Peter inhales through his nose and lets out a heavy puff of breath through his mouth, and then repeats the process. "No way to escape. If they moved anything, it might collapse. Ma'am, I need you to stop freaking out! I know I said that, that's why you need to stay still—"

Tony heard crackled voices in the background of Peter's call but couldn't tell what they were saying from anything but Peter's own responses to them. "How are your arms doing?"

"Somewhere between falling off and not feeling them at all," Peter answered, the words forcing themselves out his mouth while he seemingly struggles. Part of Tony is glad he couldn't see what the kid looks like. He just has to hope that it doesn't look like the kid was about to collapse.

"I'm almost there." Tony swerves over buildings and around street corners. "I'm almost there, kiddo."

There was a particularly loud cracking sound on the other line, followed by Peter letting out a loud curse that would have been surprising or funny to hear at any other point in time. Now, it sent a chilling wave of nausea through Tony's entire body.

"Talk to me, Parker, what's going on?"

"The building split," Peter's voice was choking with what Tony could sense were tears. "It split, there's so much more weight. Mr. Stark, I can't hold it up for much longer—"