The Baby-Sitter's Club

a/n: alas i am a year older

Here's how it started.

"So, listen, kid— I wanted to ask a favor. Pep and I wanted to go out on a date this Saturday; and as much as I would love to see someone under four foot bicker with the waiter about the right kind of apple juice, we weren't exactly planning on bringing Little Miss with us to the very sophisticated five star restaurant. I've called Happy, but Casanova's busy with his own date, shockingly enough. Was wondering if you could babysit for a few hours? Call me back."

Peter looked down at his phone and raised his eyebrows.

"Oooh." May smiled. She leaned forward on the small dining table. "Babysitting Morgan? That sounds nice. She's such a sweet kid."

"She is, but I've never babysat seriously before," Peter pointed out. "I don't want to let Tony down, you know? What if something goes wrong?"

"Then you're a superhero," May argued back. She crossed her arms. "You should go for it. From what he said, it'll only be one night, and I actually have a date on Saturday so it would be a perfect—"

"Wait, what?" Peter scrunched his nose up. He reared his head back and looked at May accusingly. "You didn't tell me that. You have a date? Who is it with?"

"It's not a big thing! It's just dinner!"

"Just dinner? That sounds like a pretty big thing, May." Peter narrowed his eyes. "Do I know them?"

May hummed noncommittally and looked toward the ceiling.

"I'm gonna guess." Peter sniffed. "Is it Cheryl from the front desk at your work?"

May continued humming, avoiding his eyes.

Peter grimaced. "Please don't say it's Pat from the Thai restaurant. He's nice, but there are better guys, May."

"It's not Pat," May smiled. "But I might let him take me to coffee if it means we'll still get the free pudding."

Peter snorted. "Okay, not Pat. Um... Just tell me! Please. I'm gonna figure it out if you don't tell me. You know I will."

"I don't even know if it's going to be a thing!" May defended with a grin. "He's sweet, but I'm not sold, you know? Just trying things out. Testing the waters, and if something happens, then it happens and you'll be the first to know."

Peter raised one eyebrow. "Promise?"

May reached a hand over and ruffled his hair. "Promise. Now go call Tony and tell him you'll watch Morgan this Saturday."

Peter huffed and selected the contact, holding it up to his ear as it rang.

So, now Peter was standing in the entrance of Tony's house, and he was lifting Morgan up while she hung from one of his arms, grinning and giggling madly.

(May left for her date about two hours ago, wearing her hair down and curled. Peter helped zip the back of her dress before she left. Happy was nice enough to drop both of them off to their destinations before he left for his own date, too. What a nice guy.)

"All you gotta do is feed her and make sure she gets to bed on time," Tony explained. Peter listened with rapt attention while he mindlessly lifted his arm up and down. "But I do hope you're better at cooking than May."

Peter cracked a smile at that. "I think I can manage some simple stuff."

"Good, good," Tony laughed. He ran a hand over his face with a relieved sigh. "Well, emergency contacts on the fridge. You can call FRIDAY if you need anything— Morgan may be a handful but she'll listen good for Peter, right?"