What's The Password?

a/n: just simply a cute lil oneshot with my two favourite idiots

"Kid, can you check my phone for me? Pep said I'm supposed to be posting photos or something of this," Tony huffed, tweaking around with the Iron Man gauntlet forged around his hand. "Something about managing our own Avengers press after the whole... anyways, can you just—"

Peter jerked his head up from his homework. "Oh, yeah! Sure."

He looked around the desk and found Tony's phone sitting under some blueprints. He took the phone and stood up, walking next to Tony. He tapped the screen. "Uh, what's your password?"

"8-10–01," Tony said without looking up. His teeth were grimaced with concentration as he worked.

Peter narrowed his eyes. He looked upwards from the phone in his hand. "8-10-01?"

"Yeah," Tony sniffed. He put his screwdriver down and grabbed another tool. "What's wrong with it? It's simple."

Peter hesitated. "No, I— why is that your password, dude?"

"Well, dude," Tony's lip curled up in a teasing smile. "I don't remember, it just is. Why're you so interested in the intricacies of my security system all of the sudden? You wanna intern for Hap instead? Gotta tell you, my passwords are more secure than his. I can tell you that for a fact. It's actually sort of distressing, I've tried talking to him about it."

"You have no idea what that password means?" Peter asked again. "You're not messing with me?"

Tony made a face and spun around to better look at him. "Why on Earth would I be messing with you? Lordy, kid. Just try the password out."

Peter just half-laughed, typing in the numbers and watching with surprise as it unlocked billionaire playboy philanthropist superhero (and apparently secret softie) Tony Stark's phone. The wallpaper was a selfie that Peter had taken after stealing Tony's phone a few weeks prior, zoomed up close as he made a funny face at the camera. He had drawn on a goatee with a black dry erase marker.

Peter glanced up at him with furrowed eyebrows and a hint of a smile. "Password worked."

"Duh." Tony picked the screwdriver back up and continued tinkering with the prototype Iron Man gauntlet. "Don't know why you were so weird about it. What is it, like a— like code for something you younger generation came up with? Is my password 'weed' in teen lingo?"

Peter grinned, holding back his laugh. "No, Mr. Stark."

Tony grunted. He held a screw between the corner of his lips. "What's it mean, then?"

"It's my birthday," he answered, looking at Tony with amusement. "Your password is my birthday."

Tony halted in his movements. His hand stalled on the screwdriver, the arm that was tucked into the gauntlet slowly relaxed in a still, calculated sort of way. Tony spit the screw out and looked over at him with his face screwed up. "No it's not. 'Cuz your birthday is—"

"August 10th—" Peter began.

"—August 10th, 2001," Tony echoed. He blinked. "Huh. That's your birthday."

"Yeah," Peter laughed slightly. "That's what I said, Mr. Stark."

"FRI, when did I change my password to the kid's birthday?" Tony furrowed his eyebrows, looking equal parts flustered and puzzled.

FRIDAY took a second before replying. "Four months ago to the day, Boss. Your words were that you wanted to remember it for next year, so you could get him—"

"Okay," Tony said quickly. "That's enough there. Thanks, honey. Yeah."

"It was an excellent plan, Boss," FRIDAY chirped innocently. "You seem to have remembered his birthday so well that you forgot it."

"Get me what?" Peter grinned stupidly. "FRIDAY, get me what?"

"You," Tony pointed at him with a hexagon wrench, "are getting coal. I've just decided. You're getting a big chunk of coal, wrapped in more coal. With a coal ribbon on top. Because you're a tiny scampering rapscallion, and I'm through with it, actually."

"You put coals in stockings, not birthday gifts," Peter said immediately. "Also, if I was a— a— I don't even know what you said, but if I was that, and you were through with me, pretty sure you wouldn't have my birthday as your phone password, and your wallpaper as—"

"Okay, and that's enough out of you," Tony took his greasy oily hand out of the skeleton gauntlet and reached over to grab his phone back, but Peter quickly stood on his toes and held it up to the ceiling.

"I wasn't done!" Peter grinned. He tilted the screen over to Tony, showing the zoomed-in selfie clear as day. "I took this photo, like, two weeks ago! This was a recent choice you made!"

"You're the reason for all my grey hairs," Tony said tiredly. "Every single one."

"Admit it, you care about me," Peter smiled.

"Nope," Tony said, popping the 'p.' He turned back to the gauntlet and continued working on it. "You're the bane of my existence."

"That is false," Peter said immediately.

"You give me agita."

"That's also fal— okay, actually, that one may be true, but just for the time that I bled all over the carpet on the sixth floor."

Tony spun in his chair and raised his eyebrows to his hairline. "Just for that? Is that what you just said? Is that what just came out of your prepubescent mouth? Kiddie, I'm about to drop every second of security footage I have of you getting hurt all over your English homework."

"Oh, you remember if I get hurt?" Peter challenged, looking delighted. "Hm, seems like you care about me, Mr. Stark. Checkmate."

Tony gave a long suffering sigh, and rolled his eyes to the ceiling with such drama that Peter was even a little impressed. Peter smiled.

"Are you gonna take this photo for Instagram or not?" Tony asked finally, looking tiredly at him with his hand still twirling around the screwdriver. "I can kick you out at any time. I have the power."

"You wouldn't," Peter said knowingly, bringing the phone back down. He opened the camera app and pointed the lense on the device at Tony, in all his theatrically arduous facade. "Okay, smile!"

Tony simply bared his teeth in a grimacing smile, his eyes not moving. It really gave him the perfect "dead-inside" look that Peter knew would go viral from meme-worthy content, and he will be the first one to start the trend. Peter took the photo.

"There." Peter snickered down at the photo. "Okay, what do you want to caption it?"

"I'll do that later," Tony shrugged off. "Now c'mere, come help me with this."

Peter put the phone on the desk and easily walked over, just as willing to be helpful as when the day started.

When Peter got home, the ridiculous photo was posted with the caption: "My intern's favorite activity: making me feel like I skipped my midnight coffee. Still wouldn't trade it for the world. That's just #LifeWithKids I guess."

As expected; the post went viral.