The (Not So) Fun Field Trip

a/n: ok fine I'll write a lackluster field trip fic

Spooktober 06: Hostages

Peter really thought that the school board would have put a temporary ban on field trips after everything that had happened in D.C. but alas, here they were.

The Academic Decathlon team had been blabbering about it excitedly the whole way, how they couldn't wait to see everything at Stark Industries Headquarters. Peter had to listen to Cindy and Sally talk in the seats at the front of the bus the entire time about whether they would see Mr. Stark himself, or better yet, CEO Pepper Potts.

"This is so cool, Peter!" Ned whispered loudly next to his ear. "I mean, you probably see this stuff all the time with your... job, but still! We've talked about this kinda stuff since middle school. I wonder if an Iron Man suit will be there. Does he just keep them flying around?"

Peter couldn't really blame him. He had to admit, Stark Industries was an incredibly cool place to be. He grew up with the news stories, with Architectural Digest and Buzzfeed alike talking about how fantastic the building was from the design to the inner workings of technology. His inner fanboy and hero worship over Tony Stark still flickered somewhere in his brain, but only because it was really difficult to get used to the fact he knew the man in real life!

"Hey, Penis." Flash grinned. "You ready to get absolutely destroyed for lying about your internship? I'll even ask Tony Stark himself."

Peter had given him an unimpressed look.

His "internship" would be pretty difficult to prove false, considering that the actual internship program was at the Avengers Compound and definitely not the building they were headed to. (He's checked it out a few times. The people there are all college students, but Peter is still able to keep up with them easily and helps out with their projects whenever he can. They think for some reason that Peter is secretly Tony's son. He hasn't had any time to try and crack that mystery.)

Secondly, the chances of Tony really being there, at the headquarters of his own company? That happens about as often as Peter calling Mr. Stark when he's been stabbed or in physical danger. (Not often. Not often at all. Actually, to be avoided at all costs unless absolutely necessary.)

"Can't wait, Flash." And with that, he put his earbuds back in and let the sweet sounds of alt-J drone out the sound of his classmates.

Michelle was different, of course. He never had, nor wanted, to drown out her voice, especially in moments like these. The most attention she had given him was a glance up from her book and a quirk of her eyebrow, as if asking him if he were okay. She only looked back down after he gave her a little half-smile and nodded, and it made his heart soar.

The next time his eyes were open, it's when Ned was shaking his arm gently to notify him that they were at the building. Peter stood up and pulled his backpack over his shoulder. For the most part, he stayed beside Ned near the back of the line the class had formed to get off the bus and into the lobby.

It was nearly as soon as they walked in that he started having problems... which brings us to now.

As the door shuts behind them, a buzzing white noise jolts at the hair in Peter's ears. He instantly looks around for something that could go wrong.

The walls are secure, just as the supports. No possibility of them collapsing. Peter felt the tiniest bit of relief from that. His senses weren't giving him a pull in any particular direction, meaning that bullets weren't going to start raining through windows that he had to dodge or anything extreme like that. There wasn't even an inkling giving to him as to if there was a specific person in the room to look out for—They all looked like regular employees or visitors.