Learning Fire Safety with Peter Parker

Spooktober 10: Concrete

a/n: I do not know how the spider-man suit works technologically and I am not as smart as the engineer who designed it,,, I took some creative liberties pls close ur eyes when reading them

He didn't know why, but somehow, everytime Tony attempted to train him on his patrols, things always went down in flames. At times like these, that should be taken in the most literal of meanings– an apartment building that'd been around since forever finally caught on fire, and they were on the case to try and get everyone out.

Tony took the top levels– Peter took the bottom ones.

"Karen, scan for the safest way I can get these people out of here," Peter said, squinting around in the dark. He's crouched down in the large sweltering hallway of the second floor, the back of his neck crawling with the familiar feeling of danger whilst bits and pieces of the upper floors fell and crackled with flames. Behind him, a group of coughing soot-covered survivors with their faces shoved in the necks of their shirts.

His HUD lit up at the command, showing the sturdiest parts of the building to look around. Peter breathed gratefully through the filtration system in his mask and turned behind him. "Everyone follow me! I'm gonna get you guys to safety, alright?"

He pressed forward down the hallway, stepping carefully over everything. "Mr. Stark, did you make my suit fireproof?"

"Who do you think I am? Even an infant would remember fire-proofing," Tony replied over comms. "It's not heat-proof though, stay in there any longer you're gonna start feeling like a gourmet steak. How're you doing down there, by the way? Got everyone?"

"I'm leading everyone to the fire escape," Peter said. A huge chunk of the ceiling fell in front of him, and he stepped around the growing fire that came with it. "I still need to get to the first floor. You?"

"I have one more floor, then I'll come pick you up."

"Okay." Peter checked behind him– everyone was still following. Cool. He turned back around and turned the corner. There's a metal door at the end, a red and white exit sign above it. "Found the fire escape."

He walked forward, inhaled deeply, and pushed the door forward, finally getting a face-full of sunlight instead of the hazy glowing oranges and reds from inside the building. He ducked back inside and waved everyone out to the metal-grate stairs.

Peter counted each person as they went out to make sure he got everybody, listening to the choked out desperate thank-yous that they gave. Then the whole back of his neck flared.

He widened his eyes and then the whole floor fell out from under him, followed by the whole ceiling of the floor above. He caught the whole of it with a pained grunt, his hands jerking upwards on instinct. His arms shook from the effort.

"Kid," Tony said immediately. "That on your side?"

"Yeah," Peter gritted out. "Yep."

There was the gentle whirring of the Iron Man repulsors before Tony spoke with certainty. "I'm coming to you."

"No!" Peter swallowed. "I'm fine. I'm good. I've done this before, I'll just–" he hissed as his whole middle grew with the heat of the baking fire. "I'll lift it up."

"What, the building?" Tony exclaimed sharply. "Not gonna happen."

"You gotta get the people out on the first floor!" Peter argued. A loud crash sounded above him, and within a second the weight he was holding doubled. His whole body bowed downwards, and a sharp pain stung up his back. He yelped.