Family Reunion Requiem

Spooktober 02: Time

Peter used to be very familiar with how his mentor worked. Blindfold him, and he could tell you exactly what Tony was thinking just by the tone of his voice. Sit across from him at the counter, a box of greased-up pizza between them, and they'd have a conversation without words.

Used to be.

He's sitting now at a wooden dining table, and his fork is drawing circles in the mashed potatoes stuck to his plate.

"And I emailed Morgan's teacher," Pepper continued. "Just for some information on when we could schedule a more secluded conference. Did you do the—?"

"Yeah," Tony nodded, cutting into his steak. He then slid Morgan's plate over and began cutting hers into small, kiddie-sized bites. Afterwards, he passed the knife to Pepper, who took it wordlessly. "I also did the other thing, the, um, I called the bank and fixed it all."

It's just like that— a familial rhythm that they had down to the inner seams, one that was developed over the course of, well... five years.

Peter glanced up occasionally, but didn't know what to add to the conversation. For reasons they weren't aware of, and definitely weren't intentional, he just didn't feel welcome. He listened to Tony and Pepper talk about things that made him feel like he was from a different planet entirely— reminder after reminder that he no longer knew either of them.

So why was he here? What was the point, even? He's looking down at the space on his plate where the green beans are getting smothered in melted butter and a voice in his head is saying, "this isn't your family," and he can't disagree.

He wished May were able to be here. He wished that there wasn't so much more to do at F.E.A.S.T., but there was, because everything needed more now.

(Because he's in the living room, he's doing geometry homework, and May's in the kitchen on the phone talking about the universe's biggest tragedies as if it were as simple as finding a triangle's missing angle.

Because he's walking down the street and there are entire mom-and-pop shops missing, places he used to go to after school everyday when he was thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, and now gone without a trace. Missing posters are on every light post as he goes, people whose families haven't seen them since the snap was reversed.

Because he's on the subway and there's dirt under his fingernails, and for a second he swore he felt his heart stop. He looked up at the other people, sitting unaware as the train rolled loudly on its tracks. Maybe he'll be gone in a second. Maybe all of them will be gone in a second. Nothing made sense anymore.)

"Can I have something else?" Morgan spoke up, looking distrustfully at her plate of cut-up steak. "I don't think is good for me."

"Maguna, Mommy worked very hard on making dinner tonight," Tony said in a stern, placating voice. It sounded entirely foreign to Peter. "Just take a few bites, kiddo."

"If you don't like it still, I'll heat up the leftovers in the fridge," Pepper confirmed.

Morgan pouted and made a dramatic show of scrunching up her nose in disgust as she pushed the pieces of steak around.

Tony hid a smile behind the sleeve of his sweater. "Come on. Peter likes it. Isn't that right, Peter?"

His steak sat untouched on the plate.

Peter blinked rapidly and looked up, feeling very much like a deer caught in headlights, or a ghost that had just been seen for the first time. He quickly nodded and plastered a smile to his face- he felt his eyes crinkle at the corners; usually a sure-fire sign that his fake smile would work.