1. i'm hot, you're cold

✦✦✦

♫ sympathy by twin shadow, rainsford ♫

Greta Abney awoke in cold sweat and lingering migraines to the bright, early hours of 3 in the morning. 

It wasn't a dream that pried her from her sleep, but rather the immense heatwave striking Seattle as the last days of summer shot out their final gasp underneath the wave of autumn

And along with that, there was the unbearable condition in which she and most of the tenants on the floor of her building were left to endure without a proper-working A/C in the last few days. 

Headaches and hunger plagued her whenever the heat became unbearable. The window was opened, but that did little to help. Everything felt so drafty and dry. Soon enough, Greta resorted to closing the window altogether. And with sweatpants and sneakers on, she grabbed her phone and headed downstairs. 

She had hoped that perhaps her living room would provide some sanctuary; that maybe she could find something in her kitchen to cool her down. 

And yet, as she descended the stairs, she found that she wasn't the only one to have the right idea. For sitting on the couch, eating the last of their Ben & Jerry's peanut butter chocolate ice cream had been her sister, Cora. 

Greta narrowed her eyes at her, enraged at the very sight. But with a smack to the back of her sibling's head, she sought attention a different way. 

"Ow!" Snapped Cora. "What the hell's the matter with you?" 

But Greta merely scowled. "You owe me a new pint." 

"I know... But it's hot here, and I was hungry. But I'll buy you more when you get the A/C sorted out."

"I told you," Sighed Greta. "It's not me, it's the whole building," Greta explained, mentally concurring with the sharp curse of disdain her sister sparked into the void. Then, she let an idea form within her mind. "So look, can you just drive us to Kelly's? I'm sure they can let us stay there for the week." 

But Cora answered rather quickly. "Kelly and Lulu aren't back in Seattle yet."

"It's whatever, I have a spare key. Just text her and tell her that we're staying there for the rest of the weekend."

Still, Cora was hesitant. She shook her head, all her long, blonde tresses swaying in the direction of her gesture before she poked more of her spoon into that last clump of ice cream that clung to the edge of the pint. 

"I'm taking a break from Kelly's spot anyway."

That only made Greta roll her eyes, though. It didn't take much for her to gather why Cora was apprehensive about spending the weekend with her mutual friend and co-worker. She was avoiding something - or rather someone. And in the month since Greta and the rest had caught her in the act of another one-night stand with Kelly's younger brother, Ricky, Cora was more or less distant from the friend group altogether.