12. stable people

✦✦✦

"Uncle Malik?"

There were many things that would take some getting used to

There were many things that would take some getting used to. For one, there was the fact that someone other than his mother had referred to Eli as Malik.

And another had been that he was seemingly an uncle to two twin girls that had no problem barging into the den where he and Frances remained sleeping that morning.

"Uncle Malik? Uuuuncleee..."

But enough of their paired shoving had finally pried his eyes open. And with a hazy gaze, he looked to their matching Bluey pajamas and even more matching curly hair that was deeply black and tamed into loose ponytails.

One of the twin girls had been named Angelica. She was a tiny thing, who looked very much like her mother through the eyes and smile, as well as their matching, beautifully dark complexion. But what Eli - or Malik had been able to distinguish from the two, had been Angelica's consistency to speak to him in her Puerto Rican dialect, which had originated from her father.

"Tío Malik, ¿volverás a hacer esas tostadas francesas?"

And with an annoyed groan, he grumbled out to them both. "Look, I don't speak that. A'ight?"

Then, it was Eliza, the second half of the matching set who twiddled her fingers before bouncing gleefully amid her translation. "French toasts. French toasts!"

He then turned over, resting on his back whilst looking up to the ceiling fan above him until both girls began mumbling in unison some sort of melody with the lyrics only being 'French Toasts... French toasts... French toasts'.

It wasn't until after the other half of the bed shifted, and from beside him, the messy hair and pale complexion of Frances emerged to greet the young singers. "If you give us five minutes, then Uncle Malik will go make French toast with chocolate chips," She offered. "How's that sound?"

And with joy, the twins ran off to singing their melody a little louder down the hall. Frances giggled at that some, only to glance downward at Malik before she kissed at his shoulder. "Can I be honest with you?" 

"Wassup?" He grumbled out tiredly. 

"Twins creep me out."