11. georgia water

✦✦✦

As the phone screen turned black, Eli set it down to his stomach, then his eyes continued staring up to the ceiling. 

He had to remember that he and Frances were sleeping downstairs in the den of the family home

He had to remember that he and Frances were sleeping downstairs in the den of the family home. And this den alone was 3/4's the size of the apartment he grew up in with his mother.

This was the home his father, Montgomery Carter, turned his life around to own. Here, Montgomery raised his daughter, Hope, and his son - whose name seemed to have also been Elijah.

This was the house Montgomery spent his last year living with his wife before being sent to a medical treatment center for his cancer.

And now, it had been a house in which his children - or rather most of his children - had inherited.

Sleeping in here for the last few days left a reminder to Eli that another person had left him for something better. And even though a large sum of money had been bequeathed to him in the will. Eli didn't think $50,000.00 was enough for the 28 years lost and conceived as a mere statistic of his environment.

For a while, he took in the silence of the bedroom as Frances remained in the shower. With what little time he had, Eli took it to wonder just why Greta would call him now after weeks.

What killed him most was how much he realized he missed the sound of her voice. Even with all of the uneven pitches she spoke from through the phone, she still had a way of compressing his heart to the mere yearning he seemed to have when it came to her.

But he knew he had to cut all of that out. Eli was in Georgia now; he had the means to restart his life here. He could let Frances go back to Seattle and try her luck with a man that wasn't so much damaged goods like him.

Eli could send money to Alex to start the bakery, maybe even gain partial ownership from afar. Kelly and Marcus could even share whatever he could offer. It would be the last act of him taking care of the ones he cared about before he wandered off to figure out how to care about himself.

 It would be the last act of him taking care of the ones he cared about before he wandered off to figure out how to care about himself