4. for real this time

✦✦✦

Greta grabbed what little she had and rushed her way out the door. In all the instances where she leaned so heavily on her own doubts, she hated just how right she could've been.

 In all the instances where she leaned so heavily on her own doubts, she hated just how right she could've been

He got tired of her.

He found someone else. The goddamn audacity!

Cursing to her own mental state, Greta hurried to text and S.O.S for Dana to come and pick her up. She almost didn't expect Eli to follow until he, too, was outside the building. "Aye!"

She tried to ignore him at first. But it was when he touched her, at just the slightest graze of his fingers upon her arm, did she whip back and glare at him with annoyance. "No! You don't get to touch me anymore, alright?"

"Will you just let me explain..."

She argued, however. "There's nothing for you to explain! You have a girlfriend now; you're fucking with someone else. Don't let me be in the way of that."

"Dammit, Greta, we not even datin'!"

She forced her eyes back up from her phone screen to stare back at him in disbelief. "Don't lie to me, alright? Alex said-"

"Alex don't even like you. He was ready to run around and say some shit that'll get on your nerves."

And in the vagueness of this response, Greta found some logic in it. Suffice it to say, she hated Alex too. A shameless nod took her expression. Then after some an elongated exhale or two, she rested her back against the railing of the stairs and crossed her arm. "So, who is she?" She asked.

"Frances lives across the hall. She comes over every now and then for breakfast before she goes to work. We don't talk outside of that."

"But you want to, right?"

"Don't do that."

"Do what?" She asked coyly. "You know, maybe you two should date. She's pretty; nothing's stopping you now. You won't even have sex with me, apparently."

"Why do you think that is?" 

She shrugged, however. Though, that only gave Eli a sour look to form on his face before he stepped back to sit upon the front stoop upon the entrance.

And Greta looked at him, and a sliver of sympathy found its way through her gaze. Finding the reason for his question wasn't so difficult. She just didn't want to face the existence of it the moment he spoke it.

So she walked over to the stoop where Eli sat and took her place at his side. With melancholy resign, she kept her face low and sighed some. "You looked at my phone?"

"You fell asleep while we were kissin'. I only tried to turn the volume off when it kept chimin' for you."

"How much did you read?"