24. belong

♫ the christmas waltz by she & him ♫

✦✦✦

The skies darkened. The halogen lamps of storefronts lit up in their variations of reds and greens that illuminated so profoundly through the falling snow. 

It was officially Christmas Eve, and Greta stepped out of her nervousness with a chill to her bones that didn't just come from the natural cold outside

She walked her way into the diner, welcomed by good-smelling food and Christmas music on the speakers. But as blissful as it all had become, she clung tightly to her jacket as she eyed the horizon of the diner, only to find him sitting there, all alone.

Her heart sank. Even now, soberer and emotionally cognitive than before, Greta felt stupidly drunk at the sight of him. That was a feeling she knew she needed to settle, no matter which way this night would go for them both. 

"Hey..." She called out to him. 

And turning, Malik looked back at her. And she at him. There was hesitation in her steps, but she almost didn't expect him to stand as well, making his way towards her. 

Then, just as soon as they were close enough, she took his hand in hers. There was a warmth in the firmness of his callous touch, and it only made her want to hold his hand just as tenderly. Even if she knew that she probably shouldn't with the first question she dared to ask him. 

"Your girlfriend?" 

He shook his head at first, and she wasn't yet sure how to react to that. "She's outta town," He said at first. Only, his next act only made matters worse for the both of them, for he quickly, yet gently, brought his hand to her cheek. 

And that made Greta close her eyes in nostalgia, all before clinging herself tightly to his upper body in a hug that was sure to eradicate all the air from his system. She soon granted him some mercy, though, and walked over to where their diner booth was. 

Then, their waiter arrived. "Oh! Don't get a lotta couples like you in here," She said cheerfully. "what'll ya' have tonight?" 

Greta and Malik's eyes quickly beamed at one another on the behest of that question, more so than the first statement given. But they hurried, not wanting to wait too long before talking again. 

"Your bacon burgers don't look too bad," Greta stated. 

"Yeah," Concurred Malik. "yeah, they look good."

"They come with fries too, right?" 

And the waitress responded as she wrote down the orders. "Yes ma'am, they do! And would you like hot sauce with that meal sir?" 

Malik tilted his head in bewilderment at first, only to be much more surprised as soon as Greta spoke up again. "Oh, he would love it. We've had a rough day!"