20. prom date

✦✦✦

♫ winter song by ingrid michaelson and sara bareilles ♫

Cora stormed her way through the halls silently but with haste.

All of this was a bad idea, and she knew it

All of this was a bad idea, and she knew it. And yet, she couldn't look at Marcus with that 'I told you so' face, not as much as she wanted.

Because, in a way, he was right. There was a bridge that she needed to mend with Greta. She knew this now because all she wanted was to punch her stupid sister in her stupid face until some sense could be knocked back into her.

But as the elevator doors closed in front of them, the only thing she managed to bang her fist against was the wooden-paneled wall at her side. That, and muffle a hoarse scream into her hands before letting her face seek refuge in the confines of Marcus's shirt.

"You're a moron," She muttered to him.

Marcus, however, rubbed her back with sympathy. "But I'm a moron that knew what he was talking about, right?"

Scoffing, Cora pulled away before she could become all too enamored with the scent of the cologne he was wearing right now. "What the fuck are we gonna do?" She asked both him and her.

"Hell, what am I gonna do? How am I supposed to go to work and look at her the same, y'know? What if she shows up at this party with Julien, and Malik is there too? What if they fight and Greta instigates it? At this point, I wouldn't even put it past her to love drama so much that she'll adore the idea of two men fighting over her. And I-"

"Okay, okay...." He took her back into his arms, and softly, Cora surrendered to the embrace with a deep sigh.

"You smell too nice," She muttered. "I hate it." But all she got was a chuckle bouncing from his chest before she wiped her eyes.

"You realize that not everything has to be in your control, right?" But upon his assessment, all Cora could do was look at him with an alienated stare before looking away altogether.

"If things aren't in my control, they turn to shit," She told him.

"Or fate will push things in the way fate wants them to."

But as they stepped out of the elevator, walking from the lobby to the car, Cora couldn't help but scoff. "Fate? You're bullshitting me, right?"

 "Fate? You're bullshitting me, right?"