21. grow up

✦✦✦

"She's a fucking cunt. I swear."

Here, drinking into her emotions, she found refuge on Dana's couch

Here, drinking into her emotions, she found refuge on Dana's couch. This place remained her only safe haven from the chaos launching its way at her back in the real world.

The further she drank through her glass of whiskey, the more her voice fell into a vivid monotone that couldn't give even Dana the notion of whether Greta was as upset as her words made her out to be.

"I mean, how does she just rub it in my face like that? Oh, that's what he's doing. I bet she couldn't wait to tell me that Malik's moved on. And I swear when I find out who, I'm gonna light their fucking eyes on fire."

"Shut up," Dana instructed. "and take this."

Greta eyed the rolled-up joint between her friend's fingers before she obliged her wishes. All she needed was on long inhale before she exhaled a hysterical, puffy cough into the air. Then, she cursed the offer altogether. "The fuck is this supposed to be?!"

"I dunno, some indica shit I picked up from some white girl the other day," She answered. "Just take it slow, alright? And keep quiet because I have someone sleeping down the hall."

Sighing, Greta shook her head before doing as her friend suggested. And after enough breezes through her senses, the blonde-haired girl managed to calm herself down long enough to gather her thoughts more cohesively.

But she was beaten as soon as Dana took a sip of her glass and spoke up first. "What's taking you so long to just dump Julien and go back to... wait, who the hell is Malik again?"

Greta made a face, having already been annoyed that she needed to explain the change. "Eli. Malik is Eli. It's a long story; I don't feel like getting into it. But you see my situation here?"

"The only thing I see is a crazy little white girl living a modern-day Jane Austin novel." Sneered Dana. "How 'bout you just make him and Julien duke it out and just date the winner?"

"Believe me, I thought about that. But Julien's headed back to London to be with his family for the weekend. Now, I feel so fucking pathetic. I can't even spend Christmas with either of them! What if he brings his new girlfriend over?"

 I can't even spend Christmas with either of them! What if he brings his new girlfriend over?"