18. new girl

✦✦✦

It was a modest space, but nothing too small. 

It was the right size for a startup bakery, and the more Kelly looked around the place, the more she beamed at her own imagination of seeing just how everything would turn out once the renovations were complete

"I'll admit it," She turned back to Malik who leaned against one of the refurbished walls. "This place is pretty bitchin'." 

Though, her choice of words only made him chuckle as he scratched along the scruff of his beard in pondering. "Yeah, this ain't bad. Could be opening this place up pretty soon now that almost all of it's done." 

"I got a discount, right?" 

"Don't I bake you shit at your house anyway?" 

"That doesn't answer my question." 

So he smirked. "Yeah, girl. I got you." 

"Good," She said. "And don't forget Lulu. I know she's gonna wanna stop by here whenever she's bored with carrying that little baby around all day." 

"Yeah, she can get her shit for free."

She wanted to fight him on that, falling into utter disbelief that her wife could get free products whereas Kelly would have to pay. But she settled for only jabbing at his arm in playful offense before taking his hand and pulling him along. "Whatever, I'm just glad you're actually doing this. Was worried that... Well, y'know." 

And he did know. If there was anyone who read her well enough, it was Malik. "You thought I was finna stay in Georgia?" 

Kelly nodded as they walked over to the counter and sat on the edge of it collectively. "What was it like back there? Meeting them and everything." 

Malik shrugged at first

Malik shrugged at first. "Hard to describe, you know? I mean, they my family. But they don't feel like it if that makes any sense."

"Well I'm your family," She asked. "Right?"

"You, Lulu, Marcus. Yeah."

"And Alex?"

"Mhm, he's a good buddy."